Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being Prepared

Array

Default Being Prepared

Do you keep a few posts ready as a back-up if you really need to post on your blog but just cannot think of a topic to write about?

Even though i wrote 6 blog posts today (most of them ready for my new blog coming soon) when i went to my blog to write something i was blank. I tried looking at the categories i have, and playing with some ideas for titles. But i could not come up with anything to actually write.

Thank-fully i do attempt to keep a buffer of about 6 posts on my blog, which is now actually down to 4 as i was out of time and wanted to get a new post online the other day.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I try to have a couple of posts done so that I can have a back up if nothing comes to wind to write about on any given day. I'm not doing so well with that right now. I have my posts done for the week for A Frugal Housewife, but that's it.

Guess I have some work to do today.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

My goal is to have a few weeks of blogs at the ready in case I need them, but I never seem to build up that store.

It's a good idea, though. I think ideally you would have blogs written a few days or weeks out in order to be able to keep your blog fresh even when you don't have time to write or can't think of anything to write. I do have a lot of posts in some kind of partial completion, but nothing close enough to be ready for publishing.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Really for me 6 posts (which was my buffer) would do me about 2 weeks. I try and post a new post M,W,F. I have no doubt i will be able to get back to this buffer, but it sure is easier having the buffer there then just trying to force yourself to write when you are not having many ideas.

I am trying to do the same with my upcoming blog where i already have 4 or 5 ready, but would like to get this site up to about 10 or just over 3 weeks buffer.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I need to get more disciplined about this. I tend to write when the mood strikes me, which is o.k. if you're not too concerned about building up readership. It doesn't work so well if you want to have new content regularly.

Array

Actually Kristine i am quite the same and for a couple of months went anything up to a couple of weeks without posting anything new. However then i went for about 3 weeks where i managed to post every second day about 3 posts a week, and i my visitor count more then double, and i have been doing my best to continue this and it went up another 50% last month on the previous month. The readership seems to still be growing and i expect i will be up about 40% on last month. But still small numbers when you look at the actual visitor counts.

I am looking to keep the buffer bigger and try to get about 4 new posts each week on my new project coming soon, as i really think it has huge potential, maybe not so much for online advertising revenue but for some of the potential business it may be able to drive to my business, only time will tell though.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

mine seems to be run by what neat pictures i got...like today, i put the fun art bugs on....

and my next one might be about a wild customer, i got her picture....she cut 4 fingers off with her power saw, ....and we heard how her hubby put them in ice ....she unwrapped it and showed us how great she was recuperating.....i asked her if i could put her on my blog.....
    but i know i should be posting more about things that might be closer to my potential customers desires.....
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Ann,

I don't know that it is to the largest degree that you need to post about things that interest your customers, of course this should be one of the primary things you do, however what the more important thing i would imagine is posting things that bring you closer to your customers, and connect with them. I would think that this could occasionally mean writing about a customer, however as you did getting permission is a good idea, and probably only writing about them in a good light. The way you write about your customers in your blog can be a big positive, or negative depending on how you write about them.

I think that especially if you have a lot of pictures and product's such as you seem to have it would be not to difficult to have a good stream of things to write about that would interest people. Especially with differing styles all the time. Where as someone like myself being in technology field, almost has to dig and search really hard to find something new or unique to talk about.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

the more important thing i would imagine is posting things that bring you closer to your customers, and connect with them
    Great point. That's really what blogging is all about when you're talking about a business oriented blog. A blog adds or at least can add a human element to a business entity. With so many choices trust becomes a big factor in who you buy from. Adding a human voice to your site through a blog goes a long way in establishing a connection with people and building trust with them.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I think as i may have mentioned though, while it is what blogging is all about especially when you are talking about customers to connect with customer then you need to be very mindful of how you are connecting. At the same time as you are trying to connect you don't want to alienate another group of customers so it can be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstance.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels