Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Growing a small business to become a bigger business

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    1. You haven't dealt with any specifics. You simply restate your position and ignore everything that suggests your position might be incorrect....
    Well, let me know if you want me to address anything I have ignored.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Perhaps you could use a course in diplomacy, too.
    Indeed, at times I could. I am well aware of this, and am also ok with it.
    Last edited by Dan Furman; 08-22-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

lol.... me too...thats why i like to work for myself..
    good one dan!!
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Furman View Post
    Indeed, at times I could. I am well aware of this, and am also ok with it.
    So am I when you complain that I do not speak as nicely as you would like. That's good then - we are both okay with the way we conduct ourselves. Perhaps we can both stop telling the other how to behave, now, eh? I will if you will.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    So am I when you complain that I do not speak as nicely as you would like. That's good then - we are both okay with the way we conduct ourselves. Perhaps we can both stop telling the other how to behave, now, eh? I will if you will.
    No need for the "truce" - we're good. I don't mind a little snipping/etc. This is actually healthy.

A bit of a difference: When my tone sucks and peope get mad at what I write, I almost always mean for that to happen. Trust me, I would think my tone/writing/communication needed work if I repeatedly got into it with multiple people in just discussing things. But I typically don't - I prettymuch butt heads with you and you alone (and I like you.) But I'm one of many that you repeatedly butt heads with. Have you ever thought about why that is? I almost can't figure it out - you're an advanced Toastmaster (I am too), so I know you know how to communicate (orally, at least). Is having people stop communicating w/ you in threads because they perceive you as insulting (which happens over and over) what you really want?

Now, if you are ok with that, then have at it. You're successful - you need not answer to/explain yourself to anyone.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

Thanks for making this thread about me, Dan, and thanks to everyone else that has decided that this is Squash-a-Spider-Week! You can hammer away at me all you want. My skin is tough enough for that. It really doesn't make any difference if you like what I say or not. This thread isn't about me, or any of you, either. It's about small businesses that want to grow bigger. It is about growing a small business by winning more customers, by contributing to the development of one's local economy by employing people and helping them feed their families and build their homes. It's about enhancing a business's status in its community by being a contributor. It's about building a better life.

I hope all small business owners who truly want to grow their businesses into something exciting and substantial, and who haven't been turned off by the destructive comments, can see the wisdom contained in this thread. We have tackled both sides of many issues. Now it is up to you.

Do you want your business to be bigger than it is or are you at a size that suits you? Do you want to be a place that provides an ever-increasing supply of good jobs for your community or do you want to be a one-person operation? Do you want a better lifestyle or is your current lifestyle comfortable enough for you as it is? Do you want more, want to be more, want to contribute more?

Take the liberty to dream - but dream big! Then get on and do it!

In all of nature, growth is the order of the day. When you stop growing, you die.
    Last edited by Spider; 08-23-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Don't put this on Dan. The reason this thread and many others end up being about you is mainly due to you. You don't treat these threads like a conversation between equals. You treat them more as you talking down from the pulpit enlightening everyone with your wisdom. If any of us disagree and offer reasons why we disagree you generally ignore our points completely, deny they're valid without detail, or pick out some small irrelevant detail to argue.

You asked me above for something you didn't address. I want to know why when a business like mine asks for a small project to be paid up front it's limiting my business, but why when you completely hide your business from clients who want similarly small projects it's growing your business. Both are essentially the same thing. In each case the business has made a determination that some clients won't help grow the business and put things in place to keep those clients out of the business. The details of how it's done and the specifics about the clients may differ, but at a basic level the same thing is happening. It's two businesses not serving certain clients because the business doesn't think those clients will lead to the growth of the business.

So far all you've done in reply to the above is insist you're right and insist I'm wrong, without addressing the question of why one is fundamentally different from the other. When you do that it's insulting because it doesn't show any respect for my opinion. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but it's insulting to simply dismiss it.

Above Dan is not picking on you. He's actually offering some constructive criticism. Whenever there's an argument here that goes beyond the specific points being discussed you tend to be involved more than anyone else. Instead of always telling everyone else they're at fault, maybe you should look at your part. The most consistent thing in these "arguments" is you, which implies you have a large part in them happening.

3 people in this thread have told you they've found things you've said insulting. Assuming you don't mean to insult any of us it would make sense to want to change something. Perhaps it's as simple as a word or two you use or maybe there's a tone to your writing. You can either figure it out yourself or ask us to point out what we think it is and help you figure it out. Since this is hardly the first time people have told you your words were insulting it would seem you haven't figured it out on your own or haven't made an attempt. Since you haven't also asked any of us for help the most logical conclusion is you don't care whether or not you insult us and have little interest in getting along.

That's why threads like this one often end up being about you. The message you've been sending for a long time is you really don't care whether or not you insult any of us, that you're not interested in our opinion, and that you think you know better than the rest of us. I'm sure you can collect quotes from this post and others to make some case why none of what I just said is true and why you're right and I'm wrong. It's irrelevant. The message you continue to send is the one I just stated. If that's not the message you intend to send then the logical thing to do is try to figure out (with or without our help) why the message is being received that way in order to change its delivery. When you don't it's hard to believe you don't intend that message be sent.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Is there any better way of having better communication with clients except emails, phone calls etc.
    I am experimenting with the idea of having a private login area for your clients on your homepage. I'd think that offering your existing clients more detailed information in "their own space" that is not available to ordinary visitors of your website might give them the impression that you'd care for them. And maybe they'd use their space on your website to actively express their need for your services? I'm not sure if it works but I am trying to find out.

Ralph