Thread: Tax laws in Ohio

Default Tax laws in Ohio

As I've mentioned before, I am in the midst of launching a business consisting of janitorial services. The market for cleaning companies in Columbus, OH, surprisingly, is in high demand. As I'm sure it is everywhere at this point.

I started the business about a month ago, and have made a couple hundred bucks, along with some side jobs laying tile and what not.

My question is...

I will be registered and have my service vendors license/name registration in about a month, how am i going to go about filing my taxes? I've been told that if I make under $5,000 with my business in a 12 month period, I don't need to file them. I am very certain that by January I will not have made $5k, so would I be good to not file taxes this year if I only made a thousand bucks or so?

Also, I will have W2's from an employed job. Can I still write off all of the stuff for my cleaning business even though I'm not filing taxes on the cleaning business yet? Like can I still write them off of my normal income Im being taxed on?

Sorry if that's confusing!

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

I am not certain of the local tax laws in Ohio or what forms are required to be filed there. You should consult with a local tax professional who can advise you of those obligations.

For federal and state tax purposes though, if you are operating a business as a sole proprietor, you need to report all of your business income on Schedule C (even if it's $100, or $1K) which will pass-through to your Ohio state return. Whether a local return relating to the business separately needs to be filed, again, should be consulted with a local professional.

As you do have a requirement to file a return for the business, you will write off the related business expenses when filing Schedule C. They will offset whatever revenues you brought in. So if you brought in $5K, and then bought cleaning supplies worth $3K, your remaining $2K is what is included on your individual return subject to tax. It's also possible, depending on your initial investment, that you could have a loss in your first year. That income will generally offset your W2 wages and reduce your federal tax liability.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."