Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: falling thru the cracks

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't take too kindly to a company that made me give them an ID when they didn't need it just so they could grab my contact info. I'd see it as an invasion of privacy and would look to do business elsewhere.

You really should have people give you their contact info voluntarily, whether it's by asking for it or giving them something they see as a benefit that requires an email or mailing address for delivery.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

it was so easy with just harvesting the checks....now all these ideas seem possible but probably lots harder and time consuming...
    . i will put a email blank on the drawing form we will have for christmas....and stress that the email list gets a coupon once a month.......i dont like them but i should give it a try.....seems like most of our customers forget them....
    we dont check id....isnt that wierd...but we rarely get a bad check either....
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

They really don't have to be time consuming at all.

If you have a newer POS system all you'd have to do is add a quick message to your footer with instructions to sign up for your email newsletter.

I would not advise sending coupons...instead fill it with things like how to care for antiques or other fun things to do while shopping in your area (I think you mentioned before that you tend to be a destination shop...) -- Or show some different uses of period pieces if you do those type of antiques -- or interior design tips with new products...

Then from time to time you can add specials or mention new arrivals or talk about your top sellers and why they are top sellers.

It's really not too difficult to do, and if it intimidates you to think of producing it each month...hire the job out - I"m sure the return will be worth it (I know it is for clients I've helped in that area)

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I like the idea of caring for antiques as part of the newsletter. Maybe something about how to determine what an antique is worth would work too. Anything that helps people is the kind of thing that will get them to sign up.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

these new suggested ways to get the names into our database are very time consuming compared to the old way..thats the problem.....the old way took no time or conversation at the counter at all..we got them from the checks...its part of the system of depositing the checks...
    .good points on the newletter....thanks......
    .i try and cover those subjects on the blog a lot....values ...but i never thought about how to care for antiques...i guess they might like hearing some of that too...
    im not really intimidated...thats pretty strong...just trying to get it better...among many things!!!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think it would be fairly easy to have a newsletter sign up form at the counter. Whoever is ringing up the sale would just need to mention it. You won't get the same success rate that you got grabbing info off a check, but I bet you'd get a response and you'd know that the people who do sign up are the ones most receptive to your message.

The person at the register who used to add the info while the sale was taking place could now do the same after the sale. The sign up could be a single line on a page, kind of like the thing you'd sign for a petition. One column for each piece of info you want to collect.

Array

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I really don't see how many of the methods will be more time consuming than your previous way of taking information from the checks.

Once you've set up your attraction methods there really is very little effort on your part other than keeping the communication going.

It's just as easy to say, "While I get this wrapped..." or "While I'm ringing this through..." -- please sign up for our (list/newsletter/customer appreciation database) so we can keep in touch with specials and information...

That takes no more effort than copying information from checks. Plus you won't be risking getting people mad by taking the information without permission. Everything these days is so permission-based that if you were taking the details off checks still, there would be some who would get your mailing and be upset if they didn't give expressed consent for you to do so. (And we all know what grumpy people do...)

You already know how effective a list can be for snail mail for sending out your quarterly postcards. It really is worth the effort to expand that and add email as another option (and through there you can gently encourage them to give you their snail mail address). If you can get just a fraction of those on your list in your store again - perhaps sooner than they might have without the reminder, perhaps spending more than they would have without the reminder - then the effort will have been worth the time and energy that goes into it, won't it?

Array

we have had sign up opportunity at the counter for a longtime....it just doesnt work very well....so many reasons/excuses maybe ..
    also have sign up on the website....
    . i should add it to the blog too....would love to see the email list grow...i think its about 1000...
    ann

Array

The accuracy of any manual sign-up system is going to be far worse than capturing it off the check. The checks are so important that people check that information carefully before it's printed. Now, you are going to have to interpret their handwriting.

Also, when I'm asked to sign up for those things I either don't do it to protect myself from junk mail or I sign up using the wrong information just to get the person off my back. I guarantee you'll end up with a lot of phoney information. But, if getting it off checks isn't the future, I think you've gotten some great suggestions despite the limitations to them.
    Steve B