Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even one-man shops benefit from the one-man taking a vacation

Array

Default Even one-man shops benefit from the one-man taking a vacation

Sorry I haven't been around much... I've been reading but not inspired with any bits of wisdom to impart so I haven't said much

Anyway... I stumbled across this article today and I have to whole-heartedly agree - especially with points 5, 6, 7 and 8.

12 Reasons You Need To Take A Vacation

So, as one one-woman shop to all you other one-man operations here on this board I challenge you to take a vacation, even just a weekend away, this year. I didn't do too good on our "real" vacation - 9 days away and I worked 5 of them, but we just did a quick weekend away and I didn't even look at a computer the whole time we were gone, it was glorious. We're hoping to do a similar trip in August or September I'm sure that one will be glorious too.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm definitely planning some vacation time after we get done with the Nashville trade show in August. I think I'll need it by then.

I'm bad about taking vacations, but I am going to this year. I'm really starting to burn out.

Array

Totally agree. Heck, I take two or three vacations a year. I wrote about this in my home based business book.

I'm taking one starting.... now, really. I put the message up on my quote form to not expect a reply until 7/25, changed my answering machine message / etc. I won't do any work until 7/25. I'm pretty firm on that.

I'll take another week for our October cruise (and I'm really out of touch there.)

And I shut down between xmas and New Year's as well (well, more like 12/21-new years). Nothing much happens during that time anyway.

Plus, I take 2 or three long weekends in Feb / Spring... I'm all about enjoying the fruits of my labor.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

I'm learning Dan - slowly but surely, learning! Enjoy that vacation and all the ones yet to come this year!
    ~Jenn

Array

I don't typically take vacations. I never have. We went on a few big trips as kids, mostly camping though. None of my parents (I had a few different sets over the years) really took vacations. And during all these years with hubby every vacation time has been gobbled up by family trips (not a vacation!!)...

I do take time off whenever I feel like it and can schedule it in...I spend days doing absolutely nothing above the minimum. I just have to watch not to do it too often (which has been a challenge with an unemployed husband over the past year...he's a bad influence and thinks I work too hard...sigh)

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Great article Jenn. Thanks for the link. I agree with all the points. You don't necessarily need to go away on vacation, but it is important to get away from work and change your perspective periodically.

I thought this one really interesting.

4. The realization that life/work/committees go on without you.

That's something I think we can all easily forget sometimes. It is ok for us to walk away from our businesses at times and understand they'll still be there when we get back.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Vacations are the 1 flaw that i have being a 1 man operation...im pretty happy with the rest of my situation

yea life goes on when im gone,but when i come back it all piles up...i end up working 12 hour days for 1-2 weeks to catch back up....which leaves me ready for another vacation.

i have 20 steady customers.....if i want to keep them happy i must get their projects done asap...i cant tell someone to wait 2 weeks until i can get to their kitchen finish.....a countertop goes in i must be there same day(if possible)...if i told them 1 week they'd find someone else.

i have a guy for emergency's while im gone, but dont feel comfortable hiring another company to do my work while im gone........if i did a $4,000 vacation would cost me $8,000+ because of the lost revenue

im going to start winter vacations next year......and try to do a couple of small ones (3 -4 day weekend trips)

i even thought of doing a 4 day in Florida one of these weekends....fly down and do Disney and come right back.....its ends up costing more, but saves me the stress or overworking when i come back...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Winters are your slow time right? I would think you can find a week or two each winter where being away won't have significant impact on your business. Were you thinking of pulling the kids out of school last year? Or was that asking about whether or not to do it this year?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

One other thing to mention - I think Dan's point about taking off between Christmas and New Years is a valid one - even for someone in Huggy's situation - people aren't really scheduling work during that time, yes emergencies come up - but for the most part it's one time of the year when the majority of the population tries to spend some time with their family - so it's a good time to schedule vacation - especially a stay-close-to-home-and-just-relax type of vacation.
    ~Jenn

Array

i always take my kids out of school for vacations...this year i did a early summer vacation, so i didnt

its slow jan-march for me.....a end of Dec. vacation might work

we will probably be doing Florida next winter

i have priced out airfare and Disney for 4 days...$3,800 for the package....its almost as much as a 7 day Disney....it seems just foolish to pay almost the same for a mini vacation just to make work easier.

I want to try having employees.......if for no other reason than the challenge of managing people and to see if i can create a larger company....my vacation problems will solve themselves then.