Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Interview About the Recent Update To Google's Algorithm

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The way forward is to provide valuable and interesting content for users and everything else will take care of themselves from the SEO perspective.
    Google has definitely been moving in that direction for years. There will always be more you should do than just create the content. The content is the start and it's a necessity, but, at the very least, you have to promote your content in some way to let people know it exists. Even Google isn't going to find it unless other other pages are pointing to it.

I think it's also important to get some of the basics right while developing. It's possible to code a site in a way that puts up roadblocks to search engines ever finding your content and if they can't find it they can't show it in results. Much of this coding is the same code you would use to build a site that meets usability and accessibility standards.

And there will always be people looking for and finding ways to get an extra edge with the search algorithms.

Still the way forward is to create the best content you can and then promote it in some way. If you do both much of seo will take care of itself. In time you'll build an audience around your content that will also do most of your promotion for you.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I think its great that Google continues to refine its Algorithm to penalize black hat SEO. For SEO experts, this is great news! I was thrilled to see that artificial sites will no longer rank higher than sites with good content!

Thanks for the links, and I hope Google continues to reward organic SEO.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's definitely their goal. Google would ideally like it if we all created the best content we could and only linked to web pages that we genuinely liked and thought valuable. That's never going to happen 100% though so Google will need to keep working on the algorithm so that those who attempt to manipulate it aren't rewarded. That'll never happen 100% either of course.

Just a few weeks ago Matt Cutts mentioned that Google will be penalizing sites that over optimize. It's another potential change in this same direction.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals