Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: craigs list scam

Here is an example of something I wouldn't respond to. Expensive product; fast shipping; credit card mentioned in the first email. When I see cc payment mentioned in the first email a flag immediately goes up. Not much of a phone number either.

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Julia Hang
    I have visited your web site today and observed that
    your company carrying for my requirment products.
    Please let me know if you will be able to supply for:

- Alcoa FSM-50S Fusion Splicer Qty 1 Pcs

My shipping destination is Singapore and prefer to
    ship via FedEx, UPS, DHL Express or more.
    So, if you agree with my proposal please let me know
    your estimate price include shipping fee to Singapore.
    The payment will be made via credit card.
    Your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mrs.Julia Hang
    General Manager
    BINARY COMPLEX EQP
    177B-2, Beach Road
    #03S-05S Gateway East
    Singapore 189642
    Phone : (65)
    Fax : (65)

Array

The other really good indication i have found of a scam is when you start getting requests to purchase just about any electronic devices from people in Asia. Especially China, or Thailand or such, because you know when you look at the product it is more then likely going to say Made in China or Thailand. So why if it was a legitimate buyer would they not purchase locally and save the expense of shipping.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

They might not have access to it Joel. Levis had their largest plant in El Salvador. They shipped everything to the US for inspection. The products with flaws are sold cheap by the pound and usually end up at flea markets or going back to central america. Some of the quality products eventually are sold back to Central America as well.

I can't speak for other products, but that same cycle may exist for made in china products as well.

In the case of my spam email, the product they were looking for was a very expensive fiber optic cable fusion splicer. If memory serves me correctly its a 10k dollar item or so. Made in Japan I believe. The Nigerian ones I've had all use Yahoo email addresses. I have no idea why.