Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would someone ask for my Taxpayer ID number?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Why would someone ask for my Taxpayer ID number?

If a client is paying me for a product or service, for what reason do they need me to fill out an I-9 form?

Isn't their receipt good enough?
    If I am not an employee why do I need to submit this to them?
    I know it's not normal because no one has ever requested it before.

Anyone know what gives?

Array

Sounds like they are wanting to adhere to a reporting requirement of the IRS. They may view you as a contractor or consultant, and if they pay you over $600 then they would need to report it. You should expect to receive a 1099 from them during tax season as well.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's like MyITGuy said. The I9 what they file with the IRS. Any client who spends $600 a year with you is required to fill out an I9 when reporting expenses to you. Most never do, but some ask. A few of my clients have asked over the years. They can use either my social security number or my tax-id and I prefer to give out my tax-id. Part of the reason I got it in the first place. Some of those who ask never do send me a 1099, though others do.

It is a legit request. Most of your clients probably should be asking for the same.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

The I-9 is not an IRS form, according to Wikipedia. The Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 is a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services form. It is used by an employer to verify an employee's identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the United States.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

My bad. I meant a W-9 and not I-9. The W-9 is a request for taxpayer identification number. That's what the client will send to you as the service provider.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

I send W-9's to government entities like the Navy, municipal water departments etc. all the time. Also large corporations. Its a very common request for b2b types of services. In fact they won't do business with you if you don't send it to them when requested. I suspect its as stated above, they are trying to meet federal business reporting requirements. Its sporadic though. Usually customers don't ask.

Also, they will ask for D&B numbers, bank account information, whether you are a corporation or single proprietorship etc. I don't hesitate giving out this information, but my client base tends to be companies you don't worry about like government entities.
    Last edited by billbenson; 06-16-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

OK, I get it now.
    Strange that no one has ever requested this before since the majority of my jobs are over that $600 threshold..

Array

The I-9 has nothing to do with $600. Unless you misquoted the form number in your first post, I think this says the person who sent you the form I-9 is treating you as an employee - which means (I suspect) he should deduct tax, FICA, etc. If you meant W-9, then you are pobably okay, but if it really was an I-9, I think you need to follow up and get your legal status (employee/independent cotractor) clarified.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    The I-9 has nothing to do with $600. Unless you misquoted the form number in your first post, I think this says the person who sent you the form I-9 is treating you as an employee - which means (I suspect) he should deduct tax, FICA, etc. If you meant W-9, then you are pobably okay, but if it really was an I-9, I think you need to follow up and get your legal status (employee/independent cotractor) clarified.
    I did misquote it. It's a W-9. Sorry about that guys.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Harold I reacted the same way you did the first time someone asked me the same thing. That's when I learned most everyone was supposed to ask, but most people never do.