Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: wow! What your website says can make a huge difference

Array

Default wow! What your website says can make a huge difference

i redid my website around a year ago now....i looked at my sales increase from it....200percent!!!

i went from a blah website written by someone else to one that focuses on quality..i get no price shoppers anymore from it....every call i get i win

i used to think the internet was worthless....since i only got 1-3 jobs a year from it... now im getting 10+ jobs a year....its still not much, but when you consider referrals those 10 jobs add up year after year....

im getting a few thousand from it...

at the same time im getting completely out of the phone book....im not even going to have my name listed anymore....the only book im using is the small local one and that one im going all out in.

the phone book advertising seems to be going up in price...i dont get it...they should be going down in price to keep advertisers

Array

That is so great to hear!! It's stories like that that really sell the concept of copy being important to small business owners. Making a few thousand off of something that costs $60/yr to maintain is nothing...even if you do have to spend a bit more than that for words and updates and such...

While I think you could have redesigned your phone book ads to get more response...I do think the day of the pages is over and the value is going to diminish rapidly in the coming years. It will still have some value as long as old people with money still use it...but once they pass on it who's going to be left to use it?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Congrats. Those of us who work on the web know how effective a good site can be. I think too many people put up the cheapest site they can and when it doesn't work conclude the web won't work for their business. The truth is usually that their site isn't working, not that the web can't work. Moving from 1-3 jobs a year to 10+ easily pays for the cost of a good website.

You probably could improve your phone book ads too. I would think some people still check the phone book first when looking for some local business. You may though want to think more about local search. I forget whether or not you have a Google Places page (if you had a page in Google Maps it's not called a Places page). Local search is replacing the phone book. If you don't have a Places page definitely sign up for one. Do the same with Bing and Yahoo local search. When you have a happy customer try to get them to write a quick review on your Places page. Also try to get some local sites like the Chamber of Commerce to link to your website. A few good links from sites local to yours should help both your site and your Places page rank better, the latter will likely rank better with some reviews too.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

i get google alerts and another guy is trying to get some of my customers

he used my website name and added 'heatingandcooling' at the end of it...

another used .net

i think a friend who i unfriended may be using my name as a keyword for Adwords(ive done it too)

im #1 and #5 on Google

any way i could be 1,2,3,4,5???

i

Array

it must be a heck of a site!!!! good for you....when they start copying you you know you are onto something good..
    guess i better google google alerts...we dont use that....thanks for the internet advice!!!!
    Last edited by greenoak; 05-22-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    it must be a heck of a site!!!! good for you....when they start copying you you know you are onto something good..
    guess i better google google alerts...we dont use that....thanks for the internet advice!!!!
    the important thing about the google alerts is that it lets you know who is using or talking about your company name.....if someone gives you a neg. review somewhere you can counteract it.....for me it lets me know who's trying to confuse my customers by copying my website address.....i chose the name of a city/county as my company name because i wanted anyone looking for a plumber with a city name behind it to find me first....so its a popular thing to copy....the one who did my exact website address .net even put his title of his page as MY COMPANY NAME....at the bottom he said 'xxx plumbing call xxx-xxxx'...i felt he was trying to confuse my customers.....he has since changed it....i considered looking into legal action against him

everyone should have Google Alerts...its free and works well

Array

Yup - what your websites says matters a TON. It's logical, really.

Glad you see the light, Huggy!!
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

huggy....how was it different? and how did you find the right person to do it? what do you think made it work so well?
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I'm glad you discovered the power of a good web presence, huggy. I know for a fact that the vast majority of contractors are way behind the curve in this arena, but I've also observed a huge shift over the last year or two where even the "old guys" who had no interest in a web site are waking up. Most opt for a cheap, useless site, but they are at least beginning to see the value as they find themselves getting buried when they have nothing. Since you are already ahead of them, you can more easily keep your lead.

There is one interesting pattern with YP though. I'll agree that for most businesses, it is dead. I'll also agree they should reduce the rates to reflect the diminishing ROI, but they don't seem to have enough integrity for that. But plumbing is one of those services where YP is not dead yet, and it's way too early to predict its demise. There are still many people of all ages that grab the phone book in an "emergency" situation.

The real issue with YP is not whether it works for some businesses, it's more likely the principle vangogh pointed to. It's the way you advertise that makes the difference. Many if not most times, those who claim something doesn't work used it incorrectly and failed to recognize they were the ones at fault. Plumbers make a great example for YP because some claim it doesn't work at all while others get great response from it.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

any way i could be 1,2,3,4,5???
    Yes. Basically you have to put more into seo. You can work to get other pages of your site to rank well for your business name. You might try opening up profiles on different social sites with your business name as the username or at least mentioned prominently somewhere. You'd probably need to be somewhat active with the profiles to get them to rank and stay ranked, but it's possible.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals