Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: wow! What your website says can make a huge difference

I'd strongly suggest you have an expert help you with adwords if you try it again. I'd suggest Vangogh but I'm sure there are others around here that can help. There is a lot to it to be successful which is why most adwords campaigns fail.

If you decide to do it on your own, I'd suggest you start an adwords thread here for advice.

Adwords has been highly successful for me. My approach is a lot of ads (100 or so) with a small list of targeted keywords and a targeted landing page for those keywords. Your site already ranks well for the common searches. One ad for Waukesha Plumbing using your home page as the landing page will be a waste of money and time.

A good campaign takes a lot of time over time. Write an add a week for keywords that don't cost that much and add a landing page for that ad and eventually you will have a nice campaign that makes money.

Array

thanks dAVID....THATS WHAT IM GOING TO PROPOSE TO HER next time we get the bug to improve...shes a purdue graduate and has done our whole web thing for years so i know she could learn it...
    i havent made adwords work either..... but probably didnt stick to it long enough
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    I was thinking Steve (cbscreative) might be a good fit for you. I have a feeling you'd like what he would come up for you.
    Thanks, vangogh!

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    i do wish i could get wordpress....but my web person thinks it would be too hard for her......
    Like the others already commented...it's not difficult at all. Once you have it customized to your needs, adding content isn't much more complicated than posting to this forum or composing email.

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Adwords has been highly successful for me. My approach is a lot of ads (100 or so) with a small list of targeted keywords and a targeted landing page for those keywords. Your site already ranks well for the common searches. One ad for Waukesha Plumbing using your home page as the landing page will be a waste of money and time.

A good campaign takes a lot of time over time. Write an add a week for keywords that don't cost that much and add a landing page for that ad and eventually you will have a nice campaign that makes money.
    Excellent advice! I'm not an Adwords guru and don't pretend to be, but what I do know about it is bill's advice is sound. Custom landing pages are the key. Get someone with a proven track record and it can be very profitable. Try to wing it and you'll likely end up feeding a money drain.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

our constant challenge in adwords or picking key words words is that we are kind of like a department store....and sell a huge amount of things in lots of categories......picking one or 2 words just doesnt cover what our main draw is....

also whats the big deal about wordpress? i guess i believe you all that its good....but why? whats the difference between that and what we have now...? i am going to go with davids advice eventually...we are pretty happy with our results now....but still...onward and upward is always good...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ann you wouldn't pick just one or two keywords for an AdWords campaign. And they wouldn't necessarily have to be specific to products. With a little research I'm sure there are hundreds and even thousands of potential keywords that could be bid on. I'm not saying you would bid on several thousand words and phrases. Just saying there are many many potential ones that could be bid on and part of what you do managing an AdWords campaign is find the best phrases to bid on and keep working to improve how well each one works for you.

WordPress is a content management system. It started out mainly as a CMS for blogging, but over the years has expanded into something that can handle more types of content. A CMS separates the content you as a site owner or blogger might create and the theme someone like me might develop for you. Say you're using a theme and decided you wanted something new or just a change to the theme you use. You can either make the change or set up a new theme without having to touch the content.

Similar to themes are plugins which let you add new functionality. For example maybe you decide you'd like to show some of your Facebook content on your website. As it is now someone likely has to open every file of your website and add whatever code is needed. With something like WordPress you would likely only need to add the code in one place or even better it would be something that you without any web development experience could drag from one spot to another and the Facebook stuff would show up where you want.

Do you need it? No, but it can make managing your site much, much easier.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    our constant challenge in adwords or picking key words words is that we are kind of like a department store....and sell a huge amount of things in lots of categories......picking one or 2 words just doesnt cover what our main draw is....

also whats the big deal about wordpress? i guess i believe you all that its good....but why? whats the difference between that and what we have now...? i am going to go with davids advice eventually...we are pretty happy with our results now....but still...onward and upward is always good...
    Just like you want visitors returning to your website via natural SERPS, you want them coming or returning from adwords ads. If you could come up with some more general search keywords that aren't that expensive and could put different items on a group of landing pages that could work. Something like a Magnolia Pearl site as an iframe inside of those pages could work well. You will find though that the Magnolia Pearl type site would be extremely expensive and hard to get results for. Its possible, but hard to do as was stated in the other thread.

As to Wordpress. Its something that someone who doesn't know anything about web design can learn quickly how to put up a site. For those that know more about web design or are professionals, they can use it to make very sophisticated elegant sites. Word press (and other CMS's) are easy to use to make very large sites and manage data, pages headers etc throughout the site. Also, say you design and manage your WordPress site. You may come to a point that you can't do something you would really like to do because it is beyond your skills or for some other reason. there are plenty of web designers that specialize in WordPress. It will be far less expensive for them to make changes to your site than a custom site.

If your site is only a couple of pages and rarely changes, say a dentist's site, it doesn't matter that much. Pay someone $500 for a 5 page site and you are fine. Most dentists aren't going to care where their page ranks as all dentists I have been to are over booked for months anyway.

I can't think of anybody on this forum that would not be better off using a WordPress site. That doesn't mean that their existing site doesn't work. It would just be easier for the people I know here to use a database driven site which is what WordPress is. There are others; Joomla, Dupral etc. They aren't as popular as WordPress, but are good products from everything I hear.

None of this means you should switch over. However, if you find yourself changing your site frequently, adding pages, changing existing pages etc. you may want to investigate it further. You seem to be happy with your web designer and the site works for you so that is a good reason not to change.

So that's my opinion as to why WP is a good approach for a lot of people.

Array

magnolia pearl doesnt need key words... you dont look for her by saying shirt..... you know her name....if i took license plates as a key word, or cups and saucers, or sap buckets........it would be pathetic..... there are so manyplaces that specialize in those items...and they are super minor to me and dont deserve a page...,,,i dont see howi could get any good out of it...or have any hope of being up there in placing...plus those 3 things are totally minor to me...my big draw is the big quantity and diversity of stuff...
    i dont even know what a theme is...or a plug in..... so im not following...
    .i feel like wordpress is right, because of you all on here, but i dont see the good points for it that i would use to get us there....
    Last edited by greenoak; 05-27-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Ann, let me just add one thing to my post above since it dealt with both wordpress and adwords:

With adwords, as I mentioned earlier, one good strategy comes with using a unique landing page for each ad. With WordPress, you can simply fill out a form to create a page. Its very fast and easy. Just about as easy as making a post here. So the two would make a nice marriage. Write an ad, add your keywords to adwords, and fill out a form to make a custom landing page for the ad.

I said "Something like a Magnolia Pearl site" above. I was referring to using Flash or similar within a web page and still getting the page to rank. I'm not suggesting you try to create a Magnolia Pearl type of site. Actually I don't suggest inserting flash within your site, I'm just saying its possible and still get SEO.

It sounds like you are having trouble with keywords. As VG mentioned above, there are probably thousands of keywords that you haven't thought of. To use Adwords successfully you need to have a very good understanding of keywords and SEO.

You aren't a web designer and probably don't want to be. Neither is Huggy. Both of you are effectively using other vehicles well to get business. I'd really recommend both of you stay away from Adwords unless you enlist the help of a professional and even then the ROI may not be worth it. Please don't take that negatively.

Adwords can be extremely effective, but it takes web design knowledge and SEO knowledge to execute it well.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ann you definitely don't have to use WordPress. Even though many of us here like it and use doesn't mean we think everyone needs to use it. Content Management Systems (CMS) in general, WordPress being one, make it easier for non web developers to create new web pages or change existing ones. If you can use Microsoft Word you can create pages with WordPress.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

thanks bill...that clears it up a bit...i am very open to this idea....but very in the dark about what it would make better or different.......... our site has lots of pictures and 8 or 10 pages i think......its pretty big and complicated...and its been around for several years...its a huge tool and part of our marketing...and a big plus for us...and brings us lots and lots of business......lots directly and who knows indirectly....im going yo have my web person start at least looking at wordpress ...
    i hear you on adwords and wont be spending much time on them for now....on adwords you say there are thousands of keywords to choose from....thats the trouble...i know at least 20 or 30 good ones........but none quite fit the OVERALL situation...... im not in a narrow niche....rather, like i said, more like a department store ,with a huge variety of products....
    we are doing local facebook ads right now for our garden event.......
    huggy...your front page says all the good things a homeowner wants to hear...... and is clear and simple and a nice picture....
    Last edited by greenoak; 05-27-2011 at 08:14 AM.