Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: MSIE 9 Has anyone uninstalled it and gone back to MSIE 8?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yes there are thousands of addons and no I don't use them all. You don't have to know what you're looking for. I assume you're capable of walking through a bookstore without wanting anything specific and yet still finding something to take home that you enjoy reading. It's the same thing. It's hard to recommend something since I don't know how you surf. For example there are addons specifically to help with gmail. I'm guessing you don't use gmail, but I really don't know. There are addons for specific sites and for different types of surfing.

I'd recommend searching for web development. When I do that 117 results come back. That's 6 pages of results. It'll take about 10 minutes to scroll through and see if any are of interest. Firebug is first on the list.

The whole point of Firefox is it's a stripped down browser that you then customize by adding extensions. It's not hard to browse through what's there or just search online for Firefox extensions. I don't expect you're going to look through all 5,000+ You spend a half hour looking through a category and see if anything interests you. Next week you pick a different category.

I have about 40 extensions installed at the moment. Most are mainly for web development or seo. I've already mentioned 2, Firebug and the web developer toolbar. I'm assuming if I list things like FirePHP, which is a php addon for Firebug it's not going to be of interest to you.

Just go to the site. Look through the categories or see what the most popular extensions are. Most of them probably won't interest you. Most don't interest me either.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Look at it slightly differently as well Spider. While IE is your preferred browser, its certainly not the best at everything. Lets make a different analogy. A SUV may be the best thing for hauling kids and groceries around, but is it the best thing for driving across country? Me for the cross country drive I'd pick a Porsche. I'd still want the SUV (or in my case a pickup) for other tasks. In fact, all my adult life, I've had a nice car and a pickup for the home depot run. That includes today as well as my single days.

If you are surfing, checking your bank account, whatever, its a very different thing than working on your web site. Firebug, as VG mentioned above, is a great web development tool including CSS which you have been trying to learn recently. Look at CSS Development : Firebug

You don't need to use one browser for everything.

Array

I am beginning to realize (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that Firefox is highly customizeable. That, if fact, is what this whole discussion is about, right? Whatever I don't like about FF, I can find an add-on to change it, I can find add-ons to make FF more suitable for the way I use the web, and so on. Now, we have often remarked that most web users just take whatever comes with their computer at purchase. Few people (well, many people considering the total numbers, but a small percentage) actually change the settings of their computer once it is plugged in and running in their office or home. Have you any idea (guess or researched statistic) as to the percentage of FF users that modify their FF browser with add-ons, extensions, and the like?

I'm going to guess that less than 10% of IE users modify their browser even allowing for the minimal options available. I would like to know, or get an informed guess, of the percentage of FF users that modify their browsers and the percentage that are using it straight and unadulterated. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Spider; 05-28-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's exactly it. So much software gets filled with feature and feature that most people never use so by default Firefox is simply a basic browser and users go about adding in extensions to get the features they want. I've mostly added developer and seo tools. Someone else might configure it work exactly how they want when viewing gmail and other Google products. A 3rd person comes in and adds a lot of social networking extensions.

WordPress is built along similar lines. I have no idea about the % of users who customize, but I would think Firefox users generally understand this is what you do. There are menu options to show your addons and find new ones so it's easily discoverable. Early on I'm sure people knew to do this, especially as the early adopters would have been the more tech savvy. How many people know today I can't say, but other than IE most browsers now have mechanisms for adding extensions. At the same time my mom now uses Firefox at times and I doubt she goes around adding extensions, though I did set her up with one or two when I installed FF for her. She knows they exist, but probably doesn't add any herself.

I did find some numbers

Firefox downloads: 185,810,200 and climbing rapidly
    FF Addons downloaded: 2,490,991,081

which would mean that on average for every FF download 13.5 addons are downloaded.

I also found this article from 2009 in which Mozilla estimated it was at least 33% and possibly as high as 53%
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Firefox downloads: 185,810,200 and climbing rapidly
    FF Addons downloaded: 2,490,991,081
    which would mean that on average for every FF download 13.5 addons are downloaded.
    I also found this article from 2009 in which Mozilla estimated it was at least 33% and possibly as high as 53%
    So, if your 40 add-ons is typical, 1 in 3 FF users have downloaded add-ons. Which jives with the 33% Mozilla estimated.

Very interesting.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I doubt my 40 are typical. In fact I just guessed at how many I have since I was too lazy to count. Did the count now and it looks like I have 30 addons installed and enabled. Guessing here, but I would think a small percentage of the tech savviest Firefox users do have similar numbers of addons installed, but the typical user probably has less.

The % is probably somewhere in between the 2 numbers Mozilla mentioned. Maybe it's more like 40%. Keep in mind that article is about 2 years old. The % could easily be more or less today. I looked, but didn't see a more recent set of stats, though it's probably out there.

One thing with addons is the more you add the more you end up adding bloat back into the software. So while addons are a great thing, too many just ends up slowing down the browser. You don't want to add every one you come across. And you have to remember it's not Mozilla developing these. It's anyone. Some addons are great and others are not coded well. I find a lot by reading the usual blogs I read. Someone will mention a new addon and it sounds interesting so I install it. Periodically I go through all the ones I've installed and decide which I really use and want to keep.

It is relatively easy to create them too. If you know html, css, and javascript you can develop an addon.

Of the 30 I have enabled right now I use about half of them regularly. Of those remaining another half I probably use sometimes. The remaining few I only use occasionally, but they're useful enough that I keep them. You can also have addons installed, but not enabled. I have another dozen or so currently installed but disabled. A few I use, but use rarely so don't need them on all the time. The rest are addons that didn't make my last cut. I tend to disable them first and see if I miss them at all. Then the next time I cull the list I uninstall those I didn't miss at all.

Not every developer maintains their addons. It's possible when you update Firefox some addons won't work. FF will let you know which won't work before you actually update so you can hold off until the addon is updated. Usually that happens within a few days or weeks. Some never get updated though. There was an addon called css viewer I liked. When it was on, you'd mouse over a web page and you could see the css of whatever you were mousing over. The functionality exists in other addons, but css viewer was an easier way to get the info.

There aren't as many addons for Safari and Chrome (I'm not sure about Opera). I have less installed on both Safari and Chrome.

If you do want to give FF another try spend a half hour or an hour just browsing through the available addons. You'll probably come across a few that look interesting. Install some and see if you like them or find them useful. I can recommend developer and seo addons, but probably not much beyond that. Try not to add too many at once. Occasionally you'll come across one that causes a problem and if you installed too many at once it's hard to know which is causing the problem.

What I tend to do now is have 2 browsers open all the time (Safari and Firefox) Safari is my main surfing browser and I keep FF open in the background. I'll use FF for specific things or because there's one addon I can't replicate easily in another browser. And it gives me 2 rendering engines to test against. One nice thing about using several browsers is it gives each an incomplete picture of your surfing habits. Let's face it everything is being collected. With two browsers I can be signed into different sites in one and use the other to surf sites where I'd rather not be tracked.

Again if you like IE there's no reason you should change. I think IE is better than people give it credit for. All browsers are capable of displaying web pages in a reasonable amount of time, which is really all they need to do. My main issues with IE are all development things where I know I IE won't support certain standard code that's been out for years (it's catching up though) or that it displays something incorrectly meaning I have to work more to get IE to display it right. Neither of those affects me as a user. Of course since Microsoft won't make a version of IE for OSX I won't be using IE except to test any time soon.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

By the way I don't know if you saw the link I posted a few posts back to free code editors. I know you like using Notepad, but I'd highly recommend getting something that does a little more. Having an editor with syntax highlight is a really big help. You might not think it until you use it, but once you've been coding with syntax highlight for any length of time you won't ever want to do without it.

Of the editors in the page I linked to I think you'll find either Notepad++ or PSPad to your liking. Neither adds too much. Both are pretty simple, but do have a few helpful features.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Just for the record - and I don't want Russell to think he is the only person using IE - I use IE and like it better than FireFox and Safari (haven't tried chrome, and won't because I don't trust mama-G.) Contrary to many people on this board, I think IE is a far superior browser. I chose IE over Netscape way back and haven't found any iteration of Mozilla browsers to come up to the quality of IE browsers. Stick with it, Russell! Don't let these MS-haters push you around!!!!
    Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's obviously not based on any experience of Chrome and I have to wonder whether you've actually tried Firefox. People cite a number of reasons for staying with MSIE (corporate policy, for example), but I've never heard anyone cite "quality" before. I don't think a person has to be a "MS-hater" to notice that for several years, MSIE has lagged other browsers in stability, security, and conformance with standards.

Of course Microsoft has greatly improved its standards compliance with each new version after version 6, and (as a "non-hater") I believe that MSIE 9 will continue this trend after the bugs are shaken out, and that MSIE 9 or 10 will eventually turn out to be a great browser. But it certainly isn't there yet, and MSIE 8 has enough quirks that switching to Google Chrome is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest (as of now, I think it's ahead of Firefox, though Firefox is also a very good browser).

Unless, of course, you're a "Google hater". IMHO it's just not sensible to "hate" any company - it's unproductive, gets in the way of doing the job.

Array

you shoulda been here 8 months ago when this convo was really hoppin!
    Singer/Songwriter/SEO Guy | Indigo Cowboy Band