Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MSIE 9 Has anyone uninstalled it and gone back to MSIE 8?

Refugee from the .com
    Array

In the interest of full disclosure, my primary browser is Opera. It's a lot lesser known, but none of the others are as well designed IMO. It has only one problem, but the problem is not Opera itself. Not all sites work with Opera. Constant Contact for example only works with IE and FF, and the same is true for Netflix, but I think the latter does work with Chrome. Other than some arrogant sites that think they're too good to support multiple browsers, Opera is a great experience. You just need to be willing to put up with an occasional "Sorry your browser isn't supported" message where you can decide if it's worth launching IE for or not.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Hi everyone, thanks for the different perspectives, it is interesting to know that many ppl do not use msie. I always test viewed my websites during construction in msie and just started to check them in ff recently. Does anyone know if dw cs5 build the HTML for a specific browser, is there a way to choose specific browser to build for?

Array

I always thought "building for" simply meant using that browser primarily when writing and checking the code one writes. Do you mean you can designate which browser you want the code to work with?

Hi Spider,

I like IE as well, I have tried chrome and FF and wasn't really drawn to it. I use a web based program that prefers FF so I do use FF once in a while. Still, neither FF or chrome gave me a good reason to switch to what I am used to using all these years. It is just like what you said, wait until all the bugs are worked out before you install something new.

I always thought "building for" simply meant using that browser primarily when writing and checking the code one writes. Do you mean you can designate which browser you want the code to work with?
    This is my question as well, one would figure that the software could probably do this. Build sites that will function better in a certain browser as they allhave slight differences and would probably prefer things to be coded a certain way to make them run better and not show any errors on the surfing persons computer.

My understanding of web development is only simple html and wysiwyg.

Array

I think I understand. It seems you are using some form of software to write your code and create your webpages, right? I don't. I write raw html code (currently taking on css, slowly) using Notepad - a plain and simple text editor, producing .txt files.

I switched to Firefox after MSIE 8. Never regretted it. IE is out of date and much slower than Firefox.
    Tyler Hutchinson
    CEO at Full Circle Business Consulting
    HTTP://www.fullcirclebusinessconsulting.com

Array

Great now there are 2 IE users here. I though this forum had standards that were upheld.

In general I did like IE. However the latest revision doesn't appear complete. It has a rushed, copy the others feel to it. I'm hoping a minor upgrade will come out and smooth down some edges.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

Frederick - You can detect browsers using Javascript and disable or enable features based on the browser. CSS also allows you to format differently based on browser, screen size, media and some other items.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

Quote Originally Posted by tylerhutchinson View Post
    I switched to Firefox after MSIE 8. Never regretted it. IE is out of date and much slower than Firefox.
    Perhaps it is correct to say *you* find IE-8 out of date and slower than FF, but on my machines, in my town, by cable, IE is noticeably faster than FF. As for being out-of-date, I wonder what up-to-date amounts to? Browsers do what they do, they are all different and people have different preferences.

I prefer MSIE, probably for all the same reasons you prefer FF.

Array

Browser are up to date on how they handle recent revisions to HTML, CSS, javascript, security features and other items. For example, IE8 cannot handle HTML5. So if you were to access a page written using HTML5 with IE some functionality would be lost or site might not even display.