Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much space do I need for backup?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B
    it never runs out of space
    Not quite true, though for most people it will likely work that way. No backup site is going to give you unlimited space, because unlimited space doesn't exist. Mozy works similar to how I described Time Machine. It takes a full back the first time and then after that it's only backing up the incremental changes. I'm not sure if it holds the different snapshots at all, but it looks like a good way to back up your system regardless.

They charge $3.95 + $0.50 per GB transferred per month.

If you transfer 1 GB a month you pay $4.95. 2 GB a month it's $5.95, etc.

Odds are you won't be transferring so much each month (after the initial backup) and so the cost will stay low each month. Someone who's backing up a movie library or does video editing work will likely see much higher costs.

Mozy looks like a good service though and I know Steve has been very happy with them. The pros are the backup is easy at a reasonable price and everything is stored off premises, which covers you in case something happens to your premises. The downside is it probably costs more in the long run than buying your own disk space (though I doubt it's a huge noticeable difference) and you're trusting another company to hold and secure all your data.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Good catch Steve. I'm pretty sure when I signed up they said it was unlimited, but I could be dreaming.

The current price is $5.99 for 50 GB and $9.95 for 125 GB.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

They might have said unlimited. Hosting companies say they'll give you unlimited space all the time and then oddly enough tell you you've maxed out your space.

Mozy does seem like a pretty good deal. I'm not a fan of storing everything in the cloud so it's not for me, but it's definitely a good solution if you don't mind storing your data in the cloud.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Frederick, where are you?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

He's out pricing hard drives.

Array

With as cheap as hard drives are today - I really would like to do both. However, the reality is that when I used to back up to an external hard drive, I was lucky to do it twice a year. I know there was an automatic setting, but I don't think I was able to figure it out (or was never confident I did it correctly anyway).
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's what I like about Time Machine. The backup is automatic and it took about a minute to set up. I used to forget to back up too, but now it happens hourly whether I remember or not.

Not to seem disagreeable, but you can spare yourself the monthly charge and do a routine manual backup via an internal or external hard drive. You can get them relatively cheap now days, from $40 - $80+ and a capacity of 320GB - 1TB+, respectively. I advise against using backup software; I don't trust it. Copy and paste is the way to go. Going with an outside source for backup is not necessarily a bad idea, as it covers your butt in the incident of something happening to your backup drive(s). It's ultimately your call.

I'd also like to add that if you don't want to do the manual backup, you can set up your system to use a RAID configuration, if your computer supports it (nearly all modern systems do). RAID configurations consist of two or more drives, depending on the type of RAID you choose, and information is duplicated onto other drives as you save data, thus saving you the time and hassle of doing it yourself on a regular basis.

As for the initial question, you can indeed check the capacity of your drives - whether internal or external - through My Computer/Computer. Right click on your drive (make sure it is not an optical drive, such as a cd/dvd-rom drive) and select "Properties". This menu will tell you the overall capacity, as well as how much is being used, and how much is left over. Apply a similar procedure to your files/folders to see how much space they take up (right click on a folder, an select properties - the amount of space the folder consumes is displayed only, in MB and bytes).

Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Elsydeon; 05-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Frederick, where are you?
    Been at a two-day Toastmasters conference.

Thank you all for your help. I found, from the guidance given here, that I have used 43gb and that it won't fit on a 4gb flash drive. What little really needs backing up I can continue what I have been doing intermittently in the past - manually copy individual files to disk or flash rive, or my old computer or on the web or in cloud storage.

Maybe I'll buy a standalone harddrive sometime.

If you're near a Frys or a computer store that sells them, that's probably your best bet, just in case something is wrong with the drive. If you purchase it online, pricebgrabber.com or google shopping results have always treated me well. Only problem with buying one online is if the drive is no good, returning it can be a headache (RMA).