Thread: Supermarket Community Boards???

Default Supermarket Community Boards???

I've noticed that in a bunch of supermarkets there is a "community board" which has a lot of business cards / advertisements up. Does anyone know if this is an effective form of advertising? Are these boards really free and can you just put whatever you want up?
    Soon to be online business owner

Array

Yes, they are really free. I wouldn't count on getting any jobs out of them however.

I've probably put my card on 10 or more of them over the last 5 years. I think I got one small job out of all of them. Just put it in the category of "it can't hurt".
    Steve B

Array

The majority of thing's that i see on this boards are the sort of second hand goods, or people looking for flat mates. I have seen some businesses put things up but more so in the direction of beauty services or massage services and the like. This is not to say that something else would not work in the same position.

The biggest thing i find with some of them is that they tend to start looking fairly messy pretty quick and no one is above covering your thing with theirs if there is no other space.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

Ours is mostly garage sales, pets & old toys (snowmobiles and atv's) - with some community events and a few businesses thrown in. It's very effective for things like housecleaning and childcare.

I do think that the board at our store is restricted to mostly non-commercial type stuff...but this one is kept clean and organized and each piece needs to be approved first (at customer service) and dated.

I did try it myself for a couple of seminars, but did not have much luck through that (or any) of my efforts. Even radio didn't work to fill the seats...so either my topic was off-base or it's as the old-timers have told me and seminars just don't do very well in this town.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

We have boards like that in our supermarkets, but they're mostly as others have said, for childcare and lost and found and stuff like that. Also, everything has to be approved by store management before it can be posted.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever paid attention to what is on those boards. They're just something I walk by when I'm going to get groceries. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hire a business just because I saw them on one of those boards.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I couldn't even tell you if supermarkets around here have those bulletin boards. That should give you an idea how effective they might be on me. I have seen those type of boards of course, and they generally strike me more as about community oriented things and not really business. I wouldn't think it would be an effective form of advertising, but if you're allowed to place a card on the board I couldn't see the harm either.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Same here - I almost never look at bulletin boards.

Placing your business card on one of those falls into the category of "Can't hurt." As in, the chances of getting business from it are like one in a million, but hey - you never know. Besides, it can't hurt.
    Access Communications
    Digital Marketing, Content Creation and Web Development
    Winner, MarCom Gold Award 2012

Array

KingHippo, in our area, the coffee shop bulletin boards get more activity. Business people tack 4-5 business cards on them and interested people take a card. They seem to be better organized than those of the supermarkets and more business oriented.

I'm sure that varies from community to community.

Paul

Thank you for all your input.
    Soon to be online business owner