Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration

Array

Default Frustration

I've had a rough couple of weeks because it became apparent to me a few weeks ago that the publisher of the magazine I was spending time selling ads for and designing was going to back out and quit publishing the magazine and today, a day before deadline, she finally said it. So, I'm sitting here with a lot of contacts, some advertising contracts and etc... that I have to go back to and say - oh, I'm sorry, we won't be publishing that magazine anymore is there anything else I can do for you?

It is very frustrating - fortunately one of the contacts I had made is with a lady who runs a local website and had asked me about possibly trading some advertising or contacts and etc... I talked to her again today and should know by the end of the week if I'll have something similar to an advertising magazine to sell.

I don't tell people I'll do something and then back out less than two months later - it aggravates me that this person who I checked out as thoroughly as I could did. I realize it's just life and additionally I have made some good contacts that have paid off in other work for me so that helps.

I'm just venting here - so make me feel better and tell me stuff like this has happened to you too, okay?
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

Ouch. That's why I prefer working with dogs!

Why don't you publish it yourself?
    Steve B

As long as you mention dogs, Steve, I have a 2 yo boxer. He's my third boxer. I really like the breed. Friendly, but look menacing to keep the rif raff out. They are known for being a good kid dog. All of the ones I've had, if you had a toddler hit him, the dog would think he's playing. Might knock the kid over because of size and energy, but a fun breed.

My wife wanted a Yorkie. Wanted to put cute bows in his hair. Visious little sucker. He's a rescue dog. He's bitten me twice (deep puncture wounds). We are getting his agression under control, but it was a year old yorkie rescue stray, found in an affluent neighborhood that wasn't house trained and didn't know what sit was.

All my boxers know or knew sit, heel, stay, come. My first one, I could put a steak on a coffee table, tell him to sit, leave for 20 minutes, come back and the steak was still there as well as a gallon of saliva and a pissed off look from the dog.

I spent a lot of time training that dog though.

There is a stress thread floating around. If you like dogs, they sure are nice to have around. Gotta train them though, or you can get a disaster.

Sorry Blessed, didn't mean to steal your thread.

Array

Blessed,

As you know we also publish a very similar magazine. While I would certainly encourage you to do it on your own since I'm not a big fan of partners, I will also have to tell you this has been the hardest month we've ever had selling ads. We have always been a 16 page magazine, but this month we are struggling to fill 12 pages. This will be a big money loser for us this month. We are considering skipping an issue to prevent further loss and in hopes of the economy improving by the time our March issue publishes. Or, we may be publishing our last issue this month if things don't turn around.

I thought about this after I made my first post to this thread and I thought I better share that rather than just giving encouragement without sharing our experience.

Bill - we just got a Yorkie last month ourselves. He has been a challenge as far as fighting with Derby (the first dog) and starting a "marking" contest inside the house! I'm working with a dog trainer friend and we're slowly getting a handle on both situations. I've met some great Boxers over the last few years - and a few that definitely needed more leadership.
    Steve B

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

That is frustrating! Unfortunately, even though you check people out as thoroughly as your can, sometimes you'll still end up with someone who doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

On the plus side, you did make some good contacts. I also think people will understand when you explain that it wasn't your decision to stop publication.

I'm sorry this happened though. I know things like this can be very demoralizing.

Array

Thanks for the encouragement...

Steve I understand where you are at - I really think this economy will be turning around soon and if you can at all you should keep publishing your magazine - it looks good and you've just hired some new sales people so some good things should start happening soon.

I would love to publish this myself. Unfortunately I can't extend the capital to do it or I would - there is a good chance that within a couple of years I could but right now there is just no way. I also think that within the next three issues the magazine would be paying for itself - but right now it isn't.

Kristine - I don't normally shovel blame but this time I certainly will - it's the only way I know to keep my credibility intact.

Bill - don't feel bad about stealing the show with dog stories - I've got a couple of my own big luggers that are great stress relief for me. Little dogs like Yorkies and etc... my family has always called "wanna-be dogs" so we don't have any of those! Spending time with them training really is the key to having an enjoyable dog - I wrote about it on my blog for several weeks a month or two ago!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about the magazine. I think as long as you let people know what happened and accept responsibility people will be understanding. I think most do realize what's going on with the economy and this wasn't really in your control.

I wouldn't place blame or emphasize it too much. I'm not sure that looks so great. I'd certainly mention it, but I wouldn't go too far with it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't advocate shoveling on the blame either. In this case, however, the choice to quit printing was made somewhere else. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people that and that the decision was disappointing.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think it's fine to mention it, but if it gets emphasized too much I think people get turned off and just start hearing excuses. Someone who deals with you isn't going to care who's fault it is that something they wanted didn't get done. They only deal with you.

There are people and companies I've worked with who are always letting me know how someone they dealt with was at fault for them not getting my order right. In the end I don't really care. All I know is when I deal with that one company it's going to end with me not being satisfied and me thinking they're just giving excuses.

I'm not suggesting that's the case here at all, which is why I think it's fine to mention what happened and be honest about it. But if you're too quick to place blame elsewhere people will ultimately see it as you passing off the blame on someone else and wonder if it will happen again in the future.

I would just be apologetic as if it was my fault, while mentioning in the conversation what did happen. You can still get the message across that this was someone else's fault without actually blaming them.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I agree with you there vangogh. I think there is definitely a way to get the message across without coming across as though you're trying to pass the buck or blame someone else. You definitely want to avoid looking as if you're trying to duck responsibility, but, at the same time, if the decision wasn't yours, I think you're justified in mentioning that fact.