Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ecommerce, shopping carts and my site

Array

Default Ecommerce, shopping carts and my site

So right now we are using Weebly as a site developer and their shopping cart accessories are not too great. We want to make our site more ecommerce friendly and upgrade to using a site like Volusion or Americommerce but are not sure if it will work with Weebly.

Do anyone know anything about Weebly and how we might be able to mix it with an ecommerce site? I know we can add hmtl with Weebly but mostly they do all the writing for us, its a drag and drop site.

My site should be in my signature. (new to forums)
    Colby M
    Dockem Manager
    www.dockem.com

Hey man - I'm not too familiar with Weebly and it's extras but I would suggest
    taking a look at the WarriorForum (sorry to drive traffic away from this forum)
    there are some super-smart techy guys over there.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I know Weebly as the free blog site where I used to drop articles for backlinks. Are we talking about the same place?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with Weebly specifically, but it looks like dozens of others offering a free site. That's great if your running a personal blog or site, but if your site is a business site you really are better off hosting it yourself for a few reasons.

1. Using something like this for free sends a message that you can't afford to spend even the $100 a year it costs to host your own site. If you can't afford that why should I as a customer trust you have a solid business? Should I trust you can afford the cost of building a quality product? Can I trust you'll be open for business in 6 months when I have a question?

2. These kind of free sites typically don't give you complete control over your site. Just guessing about Weebly, but I would imagine you never get direct access to your site files and always have to work through their interface. That usually prevents you from doing things with your site you want to do. You tend to run into issues in regards to optimizing for search traffic. I don't know that Weebly works like this, but experience tells me it does.

3. Many features you'll want for a business site are available only if you upgrade to the pro version. it's not expensive, but it's basically in the same price range as a shared hosting account that would give you complete control over the site. Unless you upgrade to pro you're stuck with the Weebly footer on your site meaning you're business is forced to give them free advertising.

4. While free themes and drag and drop sound great, the themes aren't necessarily great for your site. it looks like you can customize the themes, but again it's through their interface and just because it's easy doesn't mean you'll end up with a site that effectively helps your business.

5. I don't see anyway to build ecommerce into it, though it may be possible. There's only so much information available on the site.

None of the above is meant to be a knock on Weebly or any similar sites. Weebly looks pretty nice for someone looking to have a personal site. For business though you really want to have more access and control over things. Personally I like WordPress. It's free and hosting will cost between $5 and $10 a month. There are many free and low cost themes to get you started a well and you'll have an easier time adding functionality like a shopping cart or having the theme customized.

While WordPress is my choice there are a variety of other free and open source content management systems you can use. Drupal is another that comes to mind.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Check out Shopify maybe. Very easy to use ecomm platform, run by a bunch of very cool Canadians.

Volusion has more features, but it's terrible to use and the people who run it give me the heebie-jeebies.

They sent me an absolutely insane contract that they wanted me to sign to become an affiliate. Terrible taste in my mouth after that.

Wordpress is great, and there have been many strides toward using it for ecommerce, but it's really more of a CMS/blog platform.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeck View Post
    Wordpress is great, and there have been many strides toward using it for ecommerce, but it's really more of a CMS/blog platform.
    Most shopping sites are built on some kind of CMS. You can find plenty of WP shopping cart and ecommerce solutions:
    WordPress e-Commerce Plugin a WordPress Shopping Cart Plugin by Instinct | Instinct Entertainment
    WordPress › WordPress Simple Paypal Shopping Cart WordPress Plugins
    MarketPress - WordPress eCommerce - The complete WordPress ecommerce plugin - works perfectly with BuddyPress and Multisite too to create a social marketplace, where you can take a percentage! - WPMU DEV

But you aren't limited to Worpdress only stuff. You can use any solution, just like any other site.

Array

It does have the free service for anybody to use, but we are using the "pro" version that we did have to pay for. Does give us more features including a shopping cart we can use with google checkout and/or paypal but just doesn't give us control like you mentioned.

Does wordpress walk you through setting up the site, for those beginners?
    And the ecommerce is very important for us, what are Wordpress' capabilities with shopping carts?
    Colby M
    Dockem Manager
    www.dockem.com

I highly recommend Ecwid. It's free to use, but there are some advanced features you'll eventually want if you go big-time, that are $17 per month. It will integrate into *any* site, including Facebook pages, which is nice. I use it and love it for my decal business.

If you want to build your own site, I recommend WordPress and the wp-e-commerce plugin from Instinct. Both are free, and work great out-of-the-box. They take a little more work to get set up, though.
    Read about how I got a flat rate toll free number - or how to run a cheap background check.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Does wordpress walk you through setting up the site, for those beginners?
    There's no specific walkthrough within WordPress, but there are plenty of tutorials around. It's an easy install. Many webhosts allow you to install it with a few clicks. It's fairly easy to use, though there is a learning curve. I've walked clients through the basics in an hour at most.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    There's no specific walkthrough within WordPress, but there are plenty of tutorials around. It's an easy install. Many webhosts allow you to install it with a few clicks. It's fairly easy to use, though there is a learning curve. I've walked clients through the basics in an hour at most.
    I realize this is an older thread, but I'm venting..... Grrrrrr, I've tried to install WP e-commerce numerous times and it has failed to install. I'm not sure if I should be cursing godaddy or my old computer.

I'm new to WordPress but I like it, except when these things happen, or rather don't happen. I think the plugin stuff is the most challenging for me. But I usually don't have trouble installing and activating them, just trouble using them.

Sorry about the boil. lol

Linda