Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Web Site Animations

Array

Default Web Site Animations

I'm wondering how effective Web designers believe animations might be on Web pages. Personally, I like animations as long as they don't get in the way of my finding the information I need. My interest in Web animations was piqued recently when a client of mine requested that I create one for his site. I enjoyed the work, and honestly I was a little surprised by the demand for animations. Might they be a viable product that I can begin to offer my clients?

Input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jagella

Array

Hey Jagella,

I'm glad you found you way over to the new forum.

I am the client. The reason I wanted an animation is because I once saw my dog (Derby) start chasing a cat at a client's house. When the cat crossed the flags - Derby came to a screaching halt. I often tell that story on sales calls when the prospect tells me they are worried that it might not work on their dog. I always wanted to re-create the scene on video - but, realistically it would be impossible to catch something like that on tape. So, I thought of animating it. I asked around and couldn't find any graphic artists who knew anything about animation.

I was so glad to find Jagella on the old forum. He thought he could do it for me and we worked together on it. I think he did a great job - especially given my limited budget. What you see is exactly what I had in my head for the last few years!

I don't think I've ever seen animation on other sites. I'll bet there might be a market for it once people are made aware it is an option.

Thanks again Jagella - I was really impressed with your diligence to get it done so quickly - and how you made the changes I kept requesting.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Hey Joe. Welcome to the forum. I was hoping you'd find your way over here.

The animation you did for Steve turned out well. It does a good job showing what his business offers to customers and enhances the site.

In general I think animations can be used effectively, though I think often they aren't used well. Like anything else they should be present because they add something. Many of the animations I see distract more than enhance. Often they'll run on a loop and never stop, which only keeps me from focusing on the rest of the page.

You could certainly add animation as a service you offer. Not everyone will want it, but some will. I know the animation for Steve is .gif image. You may want to focus more on Flash animation since it's become the defacto. You can also have more interactivity with Flash animation than you can with .gif animation.

Thanks again for stop by Joe.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Hi Steve:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I asked around and couldn't find any graphic artists who knew anything about animation.
    It's very interesting that you should mention that a lot of graphic artists don't normally do animation. I'm studying graphic design at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (online), as you know, and so far we haven't even touched on animation except for being assigned reading about it in our Photoshop texts. I've dabbled in animation for several years now, but most of my work was self-study and exploration. I didn't pursue animation as a product offering because I assumed there wasn't much of a market for it and that Web designers considered it to detract from the design of a Web page. I'm glad to see there is some demand for it because animation can be a lot of fun to develop.

He thought he could do it for me and we worked together on it.
    It cannot be said enough—good design is as much a part of the input of the client as the designer. A design succeeds or fails based on its purpose and how it may fulfill its purpose. Clients need to work with us to assure that the result is what the client and target audience wants and needs. Design is a process that takes time and requires a lot of correction and honing. Fortunately, Steve understood these facts, and the result is an animation he's pleased with.

I don't think I've ever seen animation on other sites. I'll bet there might be a market for it once people are made aware it is an option.
    Vangogh (Steve) might know more about this than I do, but most Web animation these days is created with Adobe Flash. GIFs, I believe, are an older animation technology that I'm sure don't offer the features that Flash does.

Thanks again Jagella - I was really impressed with your diligence to get it done so quickly - and how you made the changes I kept requesting.
    You're welcome, Steve. I try to be very prompt and responsible with my clients, and it's good to see how they appreciate it.

Jagella

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Hey Joe. Welcome to the forum. I was hoping you'd find your way over here.
    Thanks, Steve. The Small Business Forum was always friendly and gracious, and I see that hasn't changed.

Many of the animations I see distract more than enhance. Often they'll run on a loop and never stop, which only keeps me from focusing on the rest of the page.
    (The other) Steve and I discussed the looping options for his animation while I created it. You are correct in that animations can be distracting if they run “forever,” but if they run only once, the visitor might miss it. Steve and I decided to have it run once and (have you) position it on the page so that the animation can be easily noticed. I think we have the optimal solution.

You may want to focus more on Flash animation since it's become the defacto.
    Thanks for the advice. I have a copy of Flash CS3 that I haven't installed yet. What's the best way to learn Flash?

Thanks, Steve,

(Joe) Jagella

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm with Vangogh, animation can really enhance your site, if there is a reason for it to be there. A lot of people use it simply because they think it's cool, and that's not a good enough reason. It also shouldn't have a negative effect on load times or put barriers in front of clients getting to the information or products they want.

If you can integrate animation into a site in a way that enhances the site and makes sense, then I'm all for it. It it's just another thing on a site that gets in the way of site function or site utility, than I'm against it.

Jagella, it's nice to see you here. It is always lovely to see familiar screen names.

I'm in the camp of don't use any movement unless it really serves a purpose. In the case of Steve B's site I think it worked very well. I think you really did a good job there.

Flash vs gif: Remember a flash video uses up a lot more memory and cpu resources. For someone like me who may have 30 to 50 tabs open, if a bunch of those tabs have flash banners or videos running, it could crash a computer. Particularly older computers.

Most people don't have that many browser tabs open at once, but it's also something to consider.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Animated .gifs probably came before Flash, but both have been used as long as I can remember. I'd say animated .gifs for simpler animation and Flash for more complicated animation. Some also will come down to what the image is, just like the .jpg, .gif debate. Use .gifs for images that will have large blocks of solid color with definite transitions from one color to the other.

I think there are still plenty of animated .gifs on sites today. They can work well like the one you created for Steve. They're also easier to add to a web page, though Flash isn't too complicated either. In fact one place you see animated .gifs all the time is in banner advertising. I think most of the banner advertisements you see with animation are still .gifs, probably due to their being easier to add to a site.

If you're interested I came across a post on creating effective banner ads not too long ago. I'm not sure if you'd want to specialize in that or not, but I can see where it could become a valuable service for small businesses.

For learnign Flash I'd say install the program, pick up a book or find a good website tutorial and dive in. I can't claim to be a Flash expert. My work with it is mostly incorporating a Flash file into a web page. I do or did know some of the basics. From what I remember it's not the most intuitive program to learn, which is why I'd recommend agood book to start out with. It should give you a handle on the basics and then after that it will mostly be you using the program and learning new things as you do.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

In about 2002 I bought a book on Flash - a "Sams teach yourself" book. I wrote an online Valentine's day card in Flash for my wife and haven't used it since. Had a really good Valentine's day though

On a basic level it wasn't to difficult to learn. Like most things, the more sophisticated the more complicated. At some point, to get it to do what you want it to do it becomes programming, not graphics. It can do some pretty incredible things though. Movement of any kind just needs to be used appropriately though IMO.

Array

I think that the grahic works well on this page as it is. There is however potential to improve it i think. Some of this could be the computer i am on as i have looked at pages before on my laptop (using now) and desktop and can see more of the page.

In this case the animation sits about half on and half off the bottom of the page, on a 15.4" Widescreen. This is more so probably my computer then the site though. So i only fully saw the last half which appears to be the more important bit anyway.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels