Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty

Array

The jury foreman had just announced the verdict - not guilty!

However, it was pretty clear the defendant had committed the crime, and the judge, quite surprised and angry, said, "On what grounds?"

"Insanity, your honor!"

The judge said, "What! All twelve of you?"

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CloptonCapital View Post
    The sarcasm is unneccesary. I'm saying why not just have trial by judge? Yeah, I know if I was prosecuted could choose trial by judge. I would prefer that twelve people weren't dragged against their will into a jury box for an indetermined amount of time.
    Where was the sarcasm?
    Not everyone is dragged kicking and screaming to serve. Some people actually consider it an honor to do their duty. I personally don't have a problem with jury duty and don't consider it an inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by CloptonCapital View Post
    I'm saying why not just have trial by judge? Yeah, I know if I was prosecuted could choose trial by judge. I would prefer that twelve people weren't dragged against their will into a jury box for an indetermined amount of time.

That's your choice, but for various reasons most people want to have that choice. Your suggestion would remove it for everyone. Our Constitution guarantees that right for a reason. Judges, though impartial in theory, are part of the government and some people simply would rather trust their peers to decide their guilt or innocence rather than a government employee. The mere fact that people have that choice instills more confidence in our legal system.

Besides, I question your assumption that people were "dragged against their will into a jury box for an indetermined amount of time." I know lots of people who have served on juries (though not the months-long variety). Most were inconvenienced to some extent and many (myself included) had economic consequences ranging from gas and parking costs that were more than the entire stipend for jury service to lost wages or income. Most felt that the experience was rewarding and not one expressed to me the feeling that they were "dragged against their will into a jury box." I am sure that there are some, as you and billbenson seem to fit loosely in that category, but I certainly don't think that the majority of jurors are there against their will.

I am sure that there are some, as you and billbenson seem to fit loosely in that category, but I certainly don't think that the majority of jurors are there against their will.
    I agree with the comments above that we need to do our duty in this regard and its a good system. Most would prefer to be on the beach in the Caribbean, but don't mind doing jury duty. There does seem to be an antiquated system of selecting who is exempt however. Anyone who cares for a child at home is exempt, for example. They can get a baby sitter for the days. I have no idea what the solution is, but it is a greater hardship on some over others.

Spider -> And I further support Steve's note that if a day off work could bankrupt any entrepreneur, they ain't doing something right!
    Dan -> Agree. This is a really good point.
    Because both of you have had the luxury of being able to plan your careers doesn't mean everyone can. I lost a career in the dot com crash in 1999 or so. I lost everything. I've been scraping to get out of debt for 10 years. And I have a good business and am moving forward. Probably another two years to be debt free from all including the IRS. Advice to change careers or business plans when you are scraping but surviving and quickly moving ahead until you are ahead is pretty lousy coaching!

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    I agree with the comments above that we need to do our duty in this regard and its a good system.
    Bill, just to clarify, when I put you "loosely" in the category of those who were serving against their will, I was referring to your statements that it would be an economic hardship for you to serve on a jury at this time. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were against the jury system, in general, or didn't believe that there should be a civic obligation to serve as a juror.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    ...Advice to change careers or business plans when you are scraping but surviving and quickly moving ahead until you are ahead is pretty lousy coaching!
    Come now, Bill. Where did either of us advocate changing careers or changing your business plan. I referred to changing your situation, and that is totally within your capability. If you were to choose to change your career or business plan I would support you. If you chose to change your situation by improving your current job, I would support you - and I believe you when you say you are working to improve your situation. I support you in that. My point is, it is entirely up to you how you deal with the situation. "Hating" something that takes up so much of your day is only going to make your life miserable. And it is more difficult to get ahead when you are miserable than when you are happy. So my first recommendation is to find some way to enjoy what you do. Hate is a choice, too.

Nevertheless, it is a common mistake to suppose that coaching is telling the client what to do. It is not - it is about helping the client achieve what they want to achieve, whatever that is. And none of that changes the issue that if a day off work could bankrupt you, you're not doing something right! I believe the remark was an exaggeration - perhaps in frustration - and an example of how hating something can have destructive effect.

You may not think so, Bill, but I am rooting for you.

Spider -> And I further support Steve's note that if a day off work could bankrupt any entrepreneur, they ain't doing something right!
    Dan -> Agree. This is a really good point.
    But look aat what you and Dan said Frederick.

The subject of this thread was how can I get out of jury duty as it could present significant finincial hardship to me. Your response "And I further support Steve's note that if a day off work could bankrupt any entrepreneur, they ain't doing something right!" is both off subject and an insult. You, who frequently complain of your questions being taken out of context or different questions than the question at hand being answered should at least keep pretty much to the subject.

Array

I'm really sorry that you took my remarks as an insult, Bill - they certainly were not intended to be insulting. More a prod to help you make the decisions you know you have to make.

As to staying on topic - your original post introduced the notion of a week off work bankrupting you - "a week out of work could bankrupt me" - and the remark that has upset you is relevant to that. Seeing as your initial post was really a question of how to fill out an excusal request, one could argue that the whole conversation about jury duty was off topic, too.

But I don't think anything you have said has been tqken out of context, has it? Or been misconstrued?

Banned
    Array

Man, I'm glad I don't live in New York, or Illinois... sort of. But in Baltimore, MD all you need is a valid excuse.

Although, I don't recommend this, I've heard that using something such as "being out of the country" has worked for some people that I know.

I do not recommend doing this though. It's our civic duty to attend court.

Array

It's also against the law to lie in court to a judge.
    Steve B