Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody tell me here what is the most common SEO mistakes?

Steve, I agree with everything in your last post. I just thought that the previous post responding to the keyword stuffer didn't seem to leave room for the legitimate use of alt text in seo.

Also, your comment that most people searching for images seem to be interested only in grabbing the image is probably correct, but my point was that Google often shows a few results of an image search (and/or a video search) on the first page of the general search results. It is possible that an appropriate image with the right description may land on page 1 of the Google results for a general search, not just an image search. Someone who is not searching for images may find your page because of the image.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Fair point. Like I said I do agree with what you said. I'm pretty sure the post I responded to was just spam and so I probably leaned a little too far to combat that in my reply. There's definitely legitimate use of alt text in seo as long as you remember what that text is primarily meant for and use it appropriately.

With images and search what you're saying is also true. I think those would be examples of where the image and site topic are a good match. There are certainly times when someone clicking through on an image will be interested in your non image content. My fear is people see images, alt text, and seo in a sentence and they rush to stuff as many keywords as possible into the text and start filling up all pages with meaningless images just to please a search engine.

My bad if I implied you should never use images (or video) and having used them that you shouldn't optimize them for search engines. Both can be great additions to content for real people and for search engines. I just don't want people thinking this is the new magic formula since there are no magic formulas where seo is concerned. The irony of seo is that when you create content and build web pages the best way possible for real people your seo takes care of itself. Ultimately search engines are looking for quality content on an accessible site.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I am wanting to start up a used auto parts website and wanted to learn about SEO, ranking, blogging, social media, back links or whatever else that I need to learn for google ranking etc...Can anybody recommend any books, classes or training? Although I feel i get the basic ideas..I would like to learn of any good resources to speed up my learning curve. Instead of hiring out I would rather learn it myself. Any ideas, suggestions, or direction would be most appreciated. I tried to read this thread but everyone is speaking so technical that it is hard to keep up. Thanks for anyone that cared to listen or help!

Hi xuxuio. I don't have any particular books or website to point you to.
    I would suggest you learn about the basics of Internet Marketing first. You can go to Ezine. There are a lot of articles there about internet marketing.
    It's quite complicated specially when you are just starting everything from scratch.
    You have to create your website first, a blog or e-commerce site. Then you have to market it using internet marketing techniques.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

xuxuio I would start with the Beginner's Guide to SEO from SEOmoz. I'd also subscribe to their blog and then start following links they point to. There really isn't any shortcut to learning seo. The best thing you can do is understand that there are no magic formulas and no perfect place to add a word or two on a web page. See it holistically as a subset of marketing.

If you continue to create new content, develop a site that makes it easy for search engines to find and understand your content, and promote your content you'll do ok. Mix in some keyword research so you know what people are searching for and set up some analytics to track what's happening you'll do even better.

Your understanding isn't going to come overnight, but keep at the learning. Visit SEO by the Sea, which is a great blog covering search patents and look in the right sidebar for the blogroll. It'll point to many great seo blogs. Pick a few and start reading some. Over time the technical stuff will make more sense and your knowledge will increase.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Top 4 Mistakes:
    1. Writing content for search engines, not the user making the search.
    2. Believing SEO is a passive activity.
    3. Giving up before you get started.
    4. Making way too much money, I don't even know how to spend it.

One of these I totally lied about.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Hmm? Which one is the lie? Let me think.

I hope everyone pays attention to the other three.

I recently came across what I think is a good definition of seo. It's usability and accessibility as viewed through the eyes of a search engine spider. I'm probably paraphrasing a bit, but the general idea is the same.

Overflow Cafe
    Array

A great amount of our clients believe that backlinks are the only thing to SEO when they are arguably not! Though they do play an important factor, having a million backlinks shouldn't be your main concern with SEO. Another thing that a countless amount of our clients try and rank for key words that don't even exist on their website.

Well the biggest mistake would not actually knowing how to do SEO and trying it on site that is your income maker. Many people read a couple of articles and watch a couple of youtube videos and all the sudden think they are digital marketing processionals. If you have the means to do so you should always do testing before implementing changes that could change search rankings.

First and foremost- Content. You need to optimize the content as its the key to successful SEO tactics. Moreover, avoid unnecessary stuffing of keyword. A ideal SEO content avoid repetition of keywords in the content.