Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody tell me here what is the most common SEO mistakes?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think it is for these reasons.

1. Wastes time on things that won't really help seo so it's an opportunity cost

2. Negatively affects branding. Google is certainly showing a preference for strong brands. Beyond that a poor brand means less people paying attention to your site leading to less links, etc.

3. Building links only to have them consistently removed is a signal to search engines that can carry beyond the individual link being removed.

4. Anger enough forum owners and some will probably start reporting your site to search engines as spam.

5. Spam enough forums and your profile information ends up being submitted to spam databases that could keep future legitimate links from appearing.

Did losing the one link here damage this person's seo? Probably not. But a consistent pattern of spamming forums could certainly impact seo in a negative way.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

LOL...that is too funny...lol..

Quote Originally Posted by micheellereviews8 View Post
    Hi Guys! Can somebody tell me here what is the most common SEO mistakes?

Thanks.
    A common SEO mistake is going into a market where there are not a lot of searches per month; this can be due to bad keyword research. Another common SEO mistake is waiting to craft a perfect plan before taking action. More often than not, the plan you set out from the beginning will be different from the one that will help you succeed in SEO.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Both good points about common mistakes people make.

waiting to craft a perfect plan before taking action.
    The key word being perfect. A little planning is good. That's part of what keyword research is for after all. However trying to plan perfection is a waste of time. Like you said your plan will change over time. You simply aren't going to know everything before you start and quite honestly you never will. Things change including the plans for your business. It's definitely important to take action.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Once you start seeing them it becomes pretty easy to recognize new ones.
    Definitely. And when you, as moderator, see an IP from Pakistan posing as someone from Kansas, talking like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical Spammer
    Thank for very informative post. I agree the best way to create SEO is quality backlinks create.
    It's time to hit the 'delete account' button.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yep. That's one of the obvious signs and something I always check.

Array

Double Post really hurt your site from seo, google will ban you from searches. Dont add iframe, web crawlers doesn't like iframes. Increase your text content at least 15% every page. Don't forget to assign headings ( H1 H2 H3 ). Add one picture every post with atrribute alt="title or keyword". Add keyword in the beginning your paragraph and in the end. Your Keyword must be 3% density every post. Bold/underline/italize your keywords etc.. then i forgot the rest

Doing Nothing is the biggest mistake. Act now!!!
    Backlinks (inbound links is the foundation in SEO)

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

So much of what you just said is untrue.

1. Google won't ban you for duplicate content

2. There is no perfect amount of content on a page so increasing it by 15% makes no sense. Your content should always be written to provide the highest quality for the people who will consume it.

3. Add a picture to a page because it makes sense to add the picture, not for search engines. The alt text should describe the picture since that's what's read aloud to people who can't see the picture. Stuffing keywords into them is called spam. In fact the best thing for many images is to add the alt attribute, but leave the text blank.

4. There is no specific keyword density you should use. People who talk about keyword density only show they know little to nothing about seo.

Steve, I'm going to disagree on #3. I have a website for a hobby that gets a reasonable number of visitors from image searches. For some searches, particularly for tangible objects and celebrities, Google almost always shows the results of image searches on the first page of the results for a general search.

Let's say you have a golf blog and you write a post about a new Ping driver and include a photo of the new club. If you have no alt attribute or leave it blank, you are missing another opportunity to get found in the search. In fact, just like long tail keywords on pages, your website is more likely to turn up relatively high in a search if your alt text is something like "Ping G15 titanium driver" rather than "golf club" or "driver".

Leaving the text in the alt attribute blank may be fine if the image is just there to make the page visually more appealing to the reader and adds nothing of substance to the article. That is often the case when you are writing about concepts and ideas, such as design or SEO issues (or legal topics). But when the subject matter of the image is closely related to the article, I think ignoring the traffic that the image might bring to the page is short-sighted.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I disagreed with the post above mine, because I think the recommendation was to stuff keywords in the alt text. I don't think there's anything wrong with using keywords in the alt text however the point of the alt attribute is to provide text for anyone who can't see the images. First and foremost that should be the consideration for any text placed there.

You can definitely write something that describes the image and also uses a keyword. However first you should ask yourself does the image really need a description. Lots of images are background things like a gradient behind navigation. Those images should include the alt attribute, because it allows people with screen readers to skip past them and they should also be blank since describing it adds nothing to the content. Keep in mind who that text is for. It's not for search engines. It's mainly for people using screen readers and other assistive devices.

As far as the traffic how useful is it? Most people searching for images seem to be interested in the image only. They grab your image and leave. Is that everyone? No. And naturally it depends on the specifics of your page, site, the image, etc. However most indications point to that traffic not being so useful the majority of the time. I wouldn't discount it by default, but I also wouldn't assume it's useful traffic by default either.

My objection above is mainly about stuffing the alt text with keywords. That's spam. Use keywords if it makes sense in describing the image. More often than not you can easily describe with a keyword. Most importantly consider who the alt attribute is for. It's for real people who for whatever reason can't see your image.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. Just don't want to see people suddenly think the new seo magic formula is keyword stuffing alt text.