Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody tell me here what is the most common SEO mistakes?

Well regardless of the poster not being legitimate its a good question. Linkbuilding services aren't necessarily bogus. I've used services to submit my sites to directories on my behalf, thats just outsourcing simple labor, and there are tried and true ways to build links. By the way, google is pretty much done with banning people, its all about penalizing now. About the only way to get deindexed is to distribute viruses.
    Clopton Capital is a firm that provides bridge loans, commercial loans and business loans. We are based out of Chicago, IL. We can be contacted at 866.647.1650 or at CloptonCapital.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Unfortunately many link building services aren't worth the cost of the service. They go after the lowest quality links which don't do as much to help as the services claim. Trying to get as many low quality links as possible is not the way to seo success for several reasons.

1. All search engines are working to improve their algorithms to reduce the effects of these kind of manipulative links. They've all clearly indicated the future is not in these kind of links.

2. Anything your competition can reproduce easily is not likely to help you much. If you can outsource to a link builder and generate thousands of links easily then so can I and everyone else. Whatever you might have gained no longer exists as the rest of us use the same service.

I'm not saying you should never hire someone to build links for you or that links aren't important. Just beware who you hire. Hiring cheap labor to build links usually results in cheap low quality links. Every so often an algorithm update comes around to reduce to 0 the benefit of those links. Google's recent Big Panda update is a recent example that removed link value for lots of sites, including article directories, which had been and probably still are a popular source for link building services.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I'll add a mistake: giving up.

It's easy to put out a page and post 5 or 10 links. It's much more difficult to continue to follow through for the weeks it takes to get your page ranked where it needs to be to see consistent traffic.
    Read about how I got a flat rate toll free number - or how to run a cheap background check.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's a good one and also probably the single most common mistake people make. I think a lot of people see seo as a set it and forget it kind of thing or think if they haven't risen to #1 in their favored search result after a few weeks that seo is useless. It's just a subset of marketing. You don't place an ad in a local paper and become an instant millionaire.

SEO is ongoing. It never really ends, the same way marketing never really ends.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Take a look at stompernet.com they have a lot of info about this topic.

Absolutely hysterical!! I should post some of the stuff I get on my blog and you guys will get a laugh. VG, you are one smart cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    I recognized the generic question as a typical ploy to get signature links so I did some searching. If you search on the username you'll see a variety of unrelating forums each with a single generic question posted by the same user.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

After moderating forums for so many years you get a 6th sense about what is and isn't spam. I'm an admin for a webmaster forum in addition to running this place and that forum used to get so much spam. It gave me a lot of experience catching it here. Once you have a feeling someone might be spamming it's amazing what you can find with a little searching.

I've done a number of creative things to catch spammers.

Nice catch VG! I noticed this with a couple people in another forum I use.
    Tyler Hutchinson
    CEO at Full Circle Business Consulting
    HTTP://www.fullcirclebusinessconsulting.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I used to think they were just newbie questions, but after awhile you notice the person never responds to the post after others reply, but continues to create other threads with equally generic questions. A lot of catching spammers is simply learning to recognize their patterns. Once you start seeing them it becomes pretty easy to recognize new ones.

But it's not really a seo mistake I'd say. Maybe a mistake in forum behaviour but that won't hurt his seo.