Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a graphic artist

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Jason (can we call you Jason or would still prefer lav?) I've seen lots of people more concerned about price than anything else when it comes to design design. Also with so many free solutions it can be hard to compete. I've done two things over the years. One is to figure out how I can do the same work in less time. My rates have gone up, but because I can work faster I can usually offer lower costs.

Part of how I've done this is by becoming familiar with open source applications like WordPress. After working with WP for awhile I can usually code a theme quicker than developing completely from scratch, especially if I can get clients to pick a theme they like as a model. I may not use that solution for everyone, but it's one way to keep costs down for some.

The other thing I've done is not agreeing to work for less than my rates. If the only thing people are concerned about is price I figure I'm better off finding another client.

If you keep dropping prices you get known as someone who works for less and consequently attract more clients looking to pay less. My business started growing the day I started turning away people who weren't willing to pay me for the value I offered. It was hard at first since I really needed the money, but before long the type of people who contacted me changed.

In combination with that I've looked to improve my skills so I can consistently add more value and offer something other designers can't or don't. I'll keep looking for more ways I can add value while at the same time reducing the time it takes to get a project done.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I don't get upset or annoyed by people asking for free services, but personally I'd be embarrassed to ask for a valuable service for free. A professional designer makes his or her living by designing. How can they justify working for free for one person, while charging everyone else? Obviously they have to charge a reasonable fee to put food on the table. In addition, it sounds like you're looking for designs for commercial use. How can you possibly expect something for free when you intend to profit from that very thing? If it was for a charity - or some other worthy not for profit cause maybe ... but even those organizations usually pay for such services.

As suggested, if you can find someone who does graphic design for fun - as a hobby, then they may be happy to help. Just don't expect something "professional" for free.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

One thing with free requests is what exactly is being asked for. In this case I have a hunch chimpie's request is fairly simple and it's the kind of thing that a college student or someone just entering the field might be happy to do for free. It would be different if he were asking for someone to design a full page ad or a brochure.

Of course you have to ask in the right place. Most of the designers here are working professionals. Speaking only for myself you'd need to be a good friend before I'd do any free work and even if you are a good friend you still might have to pay. I tend to prioritize my work and free will definitely fall to the back of the list. When some people have asked me for free work I let them know if they don't mind waiting till I have some free time I'll do the work without pay. Then I tell them that free time may not come for six months or a year.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Ahhh - you could set up your profile on MyShopPass.com and part of the profile is "What I Need" let it sit their, I have some traffic from my links on Biznik and they just might see your profile.
    Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. Robert Heinlein