Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you motivate employees

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Knowing why something is being done is important. I do think feeling like you have a voice in your company can also be a boost to morale. But, yeah it absolutely means a lot to know what's going on and why it's happening.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I agree that having a voice can be a huge morale booster, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be for some companies.

I guess I think of it like this: start out letting employees know why changes are happening. This at least acknowledges that the company sees them as people. Then, once those in authority have mastered that skill, they can go on to allowing employees to be part of the decision making process.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think we're mostly in agreement, but seeing the idea of employees being part of the decision making process differently.

I'm not thinking you'd have every employee in a meeting with input on things. I'm thinking more along the lines of letting them make suggestions in some way and being open to listening and adopting some of those suggestions assuming they're good for the company.

It's that feeling of knowing if you do have something to contribute that someone in the company will listen.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    It's that feeling of knowing if you do have something to contribute that someone in the company will listen.
    That is so important and is such a vital part of having a happy, successful workforce. The key is to make sure that someone in the company will listen. A lot of companies say they have that kind of policy and then completely disregard or fail to act on suggestions from employees. In those cases, the "we listen" programs do more to sap morale than they do to raise it.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yep, that's what I meant. Sorry if it came across like I was saying to have your employees voting on key decisions. That's a little much. Just be willing to listen to their suggestions.

Think about Google. They allow every employee to use 20% of their weekly time to work on their own projects. Many common Google applications we all use started life as something an employee started working on in their 20% time.