Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paypal vs Google Checkout

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd suggest using them both.
    Yep. There's no reason why shouldn't at least try both. It's the only way to know which one your customers prefer. If after using both you decide one isn't worth it then stop using it, but try both until you have enough information to make that decision.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

You should definitely offer both but be aware that there are differences. I've compared Paypal and Google Checkout fairly systematically. Be aware, Google Checkout cannot handle subscriptions the same way Paypal can. GC only has the service in beta and requires developer implementation. On the plus side, GC gets a little logo placed next to your site in Google search listings, boosting clickthrough rates (according to Google's own statistics). The way you retrieve your cash is different. Google does it automatically to your bank account. GC has no phone customer service, if something thats important to you. There isn't really a side to pick, there are successes and horror stories for both.
    Compare Online Payment Processors
    Paypal vs Google Checkout

I was wondering people's thought's on this as well. I have used paypal for quite some time now, but I would love to hear feedback from people who tried Google CheckOut or any other payment processors that you have tried.

Array

Just adding another vote for paypal. Never used google checkout. Paypal is pretty easy and I just export my payments to Excel and send them to my accountant at tax time.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I like how PayPal lets you export everything. It makes tax time easier.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Our company has used Paypal for several years now and, although I've heard the horror stories everyone has heard, we've never had any issues. I think Google Checkout is more of an add on option. I know a lot of businesses that use both options. Paypal, however, offers the entire set up, merchant gateway and all. I'm not sure, but I don't think Google Checkout does that, although I could be mistaken.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've never had any issues either, though I've also read my fair share of horror stories. Hopefully those are mostly a thing of the past. I think they arise because in disputes PayPal tends to favor the customer over the seller, at least initially until both sides are given opportunities to tell their side of the story.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I've heard more stories about Paypal freezing business funds and holding them for an extended period and stuff like that. Of course you can avoid a lot of that by moving money from your Paypal account to your regular business bank account on a regular basis.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's what I meant by them siding with the customer. They assume the business is at fault at first and freeze their funds. Seems like overkill to me. I can understand freezing funds equal to the specific claim, but nothing beyond that.

Paypal makes money by interest on money in their account. They act first by freezing merchant funds because they make more money that way.