Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paypal vs Google Checkout

I have a friend that just went through all of this, and he went with paypal once he weighed in all the options on cost, and what people were saying. Personally I would go with paypal since I have used it in the past and I like it. I know a few small businesses that tried google checkout and were happy with it. So it just comes down to what you think will be the most cost effective in the long run.

Array

I like PayPal, especially from the security angle.When you are buying online through the merchant's own creditcard service, you rely on the merchants' securty, which is an unknown quantity in most cases. Paying through PayPal means the merchants' security level is of no matter to you, because the merchant doesn't have your carnumber. I do not know what the arrangements are with Google but I don't trust Google to not use my personal and security data for other purposes. However, there is one aspect that is open to question with PayPal.

On two occasions just recently, the merchant insisted on me using a credit card when buying through PayPal. I maintain a credit balance at PayPal so I can buy things most easily. I do not have a creditcard linked to my PayPal account (another security hurdle if anyone does hack into PayPal.) But I was not able to purchase from these two merchants because I had no linked credit card. They lost the sale, over something that seemed odd - if the merchant does not see the creditcard number, why would they restrict their sales to credit card only? Makes you wonder what information the merchants do receive regarding the buyers' credit cards.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I've used Google Checkout as a buyer, but never as a seller. We use Paypal for everything with our e-commerce site and it has been great. Also works really well at trade shows as we can run credit cards right on the spot. We have never had any issues with Paypal either. I'd recommend it.

Array

Google vs PayPal in terms of merchant accounts is not an issue in 99% of the world. To keep up to date with what countries Checkout is available in, you can always refer to the Google About page at Google; search for:
    "About Google Checkout : Google Checkout overview"

Personally, I've used PayPal for over 10 years without any issues at all. Not one dispute, not one stopped payment.

Moreover, if you're going to sell anything that might be regarded as a little raunchy, you should read their Acceptable Use policies, AND contact that department to request clarification BEFORE you start selling using PayPal.

I've recently done this for a biker T-Shirt site thats got some saucy slogans on it. A prompt email response from a PayPal support staff member stated he'd check with the supervisor. A couple of days later, the supervisor emailed me with a definitive statement that the t-shirt material was fine and did not contravene the rules.

However, if you sell first and think later - you've no cause for complaint if your account is locked!
    Cheers, Ben
    "You Never Get a 2nd Chance to Create a 1st Impression!"
    Website Audits by The SEO Guy

I use both Paypal and Google Checkout for my site - I think more options are better than fewer.

Paypal is great, but you still have to sign up for it and many people just don't want to (not everybody trusts Paypal,
    there is quite a contingent out there that is still very wary) but many people do trust Google.

I don't believe you have to sign up for an account just to make a purchase via Google checkout and the fewer
    obstacles you put in the path of a buyer easier it will be to make the sale.

Google checkout is quite secure and the merchant never sees the CCard info - in fact they don't even see the customer's real email if they choose to disguise it through a temporary Google address (probably put in place so you can't add them to any mailings without their permission).

Google Checkout works just like a merchant account (deposits go directly to your bank account in 2-3 days) but it provides you with the bookeeping and shipping alerts that you get with Paypal.

I say use both - maybe even offer three options (I actually have three - the 3rd being my own shopping cart payment system using my business merchant account).

Google checkout is a good, they process the payment fast and deposit the funds into your bank fast. You do have to wait I think 60 days or a certain amount of payments before they automatically deposit into your bank account fast. Overall they are better than paypal for a simple merchant. If you want to get more technical, than choose paypal.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The biggest drawback to using Google Checkout is probably that it's not as well known at the moment, though that can and likely will change in time. I think Google also doesn't let you see all the customer information (that's how it started at least), which business would naturally want. Of course customers are probably fine not handing over some of their details and I think it's one of the draws for customers who prefer to use Checkout.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I use paypal as well and have had no complaints. I have never used Google Checkout, but I have not heard any bad things with it either.
    Tyler Hutchinson
    CEO at Full Circle Business Consulting
    HTTP://www.fullcirclebusinessconsulting.com

I use Paypal and have been very happy with it. It's been especially good for sending invoices for international orders. Keeps things simple.

Only problem with not seeing any card numbers is if you have to add something to the total you have to contact the customer for their number.

ggg

Array

If you are trying to appeal to a broad base of customers, I'd suggest using them both. They don't really interfere with each other and some clients might prefer one payment method over the other. In my experience, they both charge about the same in transaction fees and transactions settle quickly. G Checkout offers the convenience of settling straight into your bank account instead of having to be withdrawn or transferred like Paypal.