Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: google ad words

Array

Default google ad words

weve gotten a couple of 100$$ coupons for google ad words.... and havent really even considered using google...... do you think it would be worth looking into? we are local and dont sell on line.... we know people find us thru our website a lot....
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

I wouldn't get into it just because of the coupons. Its a lot of work and takes an ongoing effort to do it right. If you have the time you could play around with it a bit with the coupons. Promoting particular hard to find objects or maybe just your store, but if you do well in the local SERPS for antiques, the local store doesn't make that much sense to me.

You could also use the coupons to put some add up that would help find keywords for your site that you may not have thought of.

Array

I would definitely use it. Especially for some keywords that you may not have strong search results with.

Example: You site is number one for "antiques Indiana." But not in the first 5 pages for "rehabbed furniture Indiana."

Adwords would be perfect for those keywords.

Plus, you have nothing to lose... it's free!

Array

I think you should definitely take advantage of it. I can't understand why anyone would think it's a lot of work. I go several months at a time without even looking at it. I consistently get more business from Adwords than any other source. I also only sell locally and don't sell over the internet.

PM me if you want more details on how to use it. For one thing, there is a way to specify that your ad only shows to local people. You can list zip codes, or you can literally draw a map of where you want to cover.
    Steve B

Array

i tried AdWords a few different times...i stuck with it for months at a time....tried different idea's...even tried using my competitors names as keywords...

how much business did i get from it? 0
    even if i wasnt perfect in selecting key words if it had any value wouldnt i have gotten a call for all those hits i got...

maybe it will be different w/ antiques....im sure it works for someone....it sure doesnt work for me...

i have noticed an increase in business from my website since the redesign a year ago, but over all the internet doesnt do much for my business

Array

thanks....its interesting..
    ..ive got a whole lot going on all the time...and not looking for more work unless it really looks tempting....but i sure dont mind work.;... its hard when you dont even know what a good key word is ...unfortunatley it isnt antiques...and we are first page in the state on that.......
    guess i shold think about it some more...and maybe the right key word would come to me.... for the adventurous home owning shopper....
    maybe i will save the next coupon and just throw something out there....

Array

I'm sure it also depends on the type of business you have. Since I sell a relatively high tech product and my customers are typically under 45 years old - they all go to the internet (and mostly Google) to find my kind of business. I imagine that finding a plumber isn't necessarily that way and I would doubt antiques would be either. Since you already land on the first page for the obvious key word (antiques) you would possibly have less benefit. BUT, it wouldn't hurt to be on the first page TWICE. Once with your organic landing and once with your adwords listing.

Incidentally, when I Google "Antiques Indiana" or "Antique Store Indiana" you come up third on the list both times. In each case there is only one company in the Adwords section so it would only cost you a penny or two per hit to show up on the screen in the adwords section. That's a lot of hits for your $100 coupon. In my case I have LOTS of competitors bidding on the obvious key words - so instead of pennies - I have to pay dollars for a hit.

This seems like a no-brainer to me for you to try it out.
    Last edited by Steve B; 02-21-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    Steve B

Array

really!!! i guess most of the antiquers in indiana arent on the web like we have been for so long....
    dang...i threw it out...thanks steve...
    my customers are young too but they dont really buy my kind of stuff on line.... but they do cyber searches before they come to us..... so that would be good too...is it always keyed to key words?
    im keeping the next one..or just spending a 100$$ to see what happens.....and guess i better read up on this...maybe its a new opportunity...
    we are so different...i have hardly any competition, our mix is pretty rare or maybe even unique,,, and you have tons.... but i dont have any obvious search words either...but they have to find me first..thats the hard part...
    Last edited by greenoak; 02-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Array

Ask your customers. "If you were searching for us on the web, what one searchword would you expect to find us under?"

Make a contest of it - "We will test the first 15 searchwords and the person who gave us the word that returned the best response will get $500 to spend in the store."

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ann don't worry about tossing out the coupon. Google sends them out all the time. I think I get one every couple of months or so in the mail. I'm sure they'll send you another.

As far as being local you can set up AdWords so it only shows your ad if someone lives within "x" miles of your location. You set "x" though it won't be perfect as the searchers location will be based on their IP address, which isn't perfectly accurate. However you can be sure you aren't serving ads to people in California or in other countries.

When it comes to choosing keywords I think the best way to go is to start by brainstorm a list. You can also as customers like Frederick suggests, though be aware people typically won't remember exactly what they searched for. They'll probably remember the most common word or two they used, but not necessarily other words they added. When you have a brainstormed list you want to take it to a keyword tool. Google AdWords has a nice one. The tools show you what people are actually searching for.

Also it's a good idea to read up a little on how AdWords works as there are many subtleties with the system that can greatly affect your success with it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals