Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: google ad words

Ideally Ann, you want keywords that support an ad, keywords in the ad, and an ad that points to a page on your site that is about keyword phrase. I sell products as well. I start with 100 or so keywords that might be applicable, write an ad that is optimized for those keywords, and point to a page that is optimized for those keywords. After about a month I come back and delete the keywords that delete keywords that haven't had any impressions. Obviously this takes time, but its worth it. I have about 100 ads each optimized for one specific page and keywords.

An easier approach would be to take a page you already had and optimize the ad and keywords around that page and use it as the landing page. I don't recommend using your home page for a landing page.

I've found that G will ignore new ads with low max cpc. It works better if you start with a higher cpc and drop it down over time. Having said that, I'd start with a max cpc of say 20 cents and let it sit for a while. Say two weeks. New ads don't usually get a lot of impressions immediately or at least it takes a while for G to decide if they like the ad.

After the two weeks or whatever time frame that the ad settles, you can play with the max cpc a bit. If you ad isn't showing for fourth position or better, up the bid for a day or two and see if it moves. Keep an eye on it though, as if you all of a sudden get a bunch of hits, you can go through money pretty fast.

Start with several ads. Even different ads for the same landing page. Sometimes G will like an ad or keyword you don't think should work and conversely may not work for an ad that you think is good. You still need to dance with Google just like natural SERPS, things just happen faster with adwords ie a few weeks to tweak and place instead of months.

Array

Interesting to see "cents" used as cost examples. My typical CPC is about $4 bucks.

Another thing is "negative keywords." Do any of you guys use them a lot?

I noticed I would get a ton of people searching "window cleaning JOBS" and "window cleaning SOLUTION." So I had to use words like "jobs, employment, soap, tools, etc..." as negative keywords.

I was paying thru the nose before I realized what was happening.

Yes, I use negative keywords as well. You pretty much need to look at your stats for searh terms to see which ones to use.

Array

thanks bill....
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Negative keywords are very important, because at the end of the day you want to lower your price per conversion and that's one of the most significant tools to do that. Every week I go over my search terms using the "see search terms" button like bill said, and try to get ideas for negative and positive keywords as well. The best negative keywords are the simplest and most times less obvious. For example, I run a locksmith business and one of my best negative keywords is "how". I found out through research that in my industry anybody that uses a search query that has how in it is not looking to purchase any services. something to think about

Array

Yeah, one of my negatives is "how to" for the same reason...

Incidentally for all you Adwords users, I recieved my coupon in the email today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adwords
    Hi, J
    Thank you for participating in the Google AdWords Big Small Business Plan offer. As promised, we are providing you with $100 in free advertising with the coupon code below.
    If anyone was already signed up for Conversion Tracking and spent the appropriate amount by Feb 15th, you should automatically get the coupon... so check your email!

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    weve gotten a couple of 100$$ coupons for google ad words.... and havent really even considered using google...... do you think it would be worth looking into? we are local and dont sell on line.... we know people find us thru our website a lot....
    I sent you an email but figured I might as well post here too.

I am in the middle of signing up for Adwords now. I stopped my registration to do a search for coupon codes and the ones that are out there are used already. I guess each code gets one use. Some people must get multiple codes sent to them (one to use and others to share), in an effort to promote adwords from what I can gather.

Then I thought I should pop into SBF and see if anyone here knew anything good on the matter and here you are, code(s) in hand and not sure if you should use them.

If you have any extras, I would be more than happy to take one off your hands.

Thanks, Pete
    Pete - Reflo Ltd - A smart alternative to sippy cups
    www.reflo.net

Array

Check eBay... they have $100 codes for under $10 bucks.

Array

thanks pete.....im working on it too.....
    now im leaning to 3 or 4 specific words, like kitchen island , in one ad and within 100 miles.... ... i just need them to see our pictures....the keyword tool was very helpful....
    im swamped right now with all the spring inventory we bought in january and thats coming in ... i cant really get to it yet...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Quote Originally Posted by J from Michigan View Post
    Check eBay... they have $100 codes for under $10 bucks.
    Thanks J... do you know anything about how these coupons work? Do you have to use the whole amou8nt before the expiration date or just submit the coupon by then? Are these straight credit to your account or is it a matching funds arrangement? (do I have to spend X to get X?)

I never thought about looking on ebay so thank you again for the great idea.
    Pete - Reflo Ltd - A smart alternative to sippy cups
    www.reflo.net