Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Do you use a wide screen?

Array

Notwithstanding my little outburst there in favor of a fully fluid width, I am in the process of reducing the overall maximum width to 1200px. It's throwing up a few minor centering anomalies but I'll go back and tidy them up later. Would anyone who is interested stop by and see if you think 1200 limitation is okay.

I now have it that anyone using a window width of 1200px or less will not notice anything because the site wraps right down to about 600px before a horizontal scroll is necessary. Above 1200px the site stops expanding using the max-width attribute set at 1200. That means people no longer have a choice of viewing my site wider than 1200px - they are limited, but that was the concensus and I thought I would try it.

This only applies to Firefox, Chrome and Safari users - IE does not recognize max-width at present so Explorer users will still see a fully fluid design out to infinity!

Your comments, as always, are appreciated.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

It works in Opera too, but Opera users are a pretty small percentage. I adjusted the width up and down and found no issues. I was thinking we didn't have to worry about making your sidebar images so wide any more, but with IE, we still do. Ya gotta love MS.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Yes, Steve - I am going to assume that people with super-wide screens who are using them at full width, are also using Firefox and others (ie. the folks here.) The 50% of my visitors who use IE are not all using superwide screens of course, and a certain percentage even of those who are will not use them full width. So, wide screen users, using IE and running at full width, is probably quite a small percentage.

For those who do use a wide screen at full width on Firefox et al, how does 1200px max width look to you?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The size of my screen does not affect the website. For most websites I see the background on both sides of the site area. That could be anywhere from 100px on each side on my desktop to flush on a mobile device. Most times the background area is part of the design.
    The point is, no matter what screen size I use, I see the website area the same dimensions. It's the same px size no matter how big the screen is. If I have a 60ft screen...I'm still going to see it at the same relative size as any other device...It's just bigger.

I don't use a widescreen monitors because I want to view websites in the full viewable area. I actually don't and none of the websites that I frequent (outside of V-Bulletin forums) display that way. None of them. I use them because I want to see multimedia in full screen. Videos, games and movies and those are more and more created for a widescreen or cinematic screen size. That's why I have widescreen monitors. It has nothing to do with regular websites. I want to see them in a defined area. I expect to see extra space on either side.

Most of my websites and the websites that I put up for people are 1000px-1200px. With 1200 being on the high side. At 1000px I can see most websites on a mobile device without turning the screen sideways for the widescreen view. 1000px seems like it's becoming the norm these days.

The biggest thing is, people don't use widescreen monitors because of websites so you don't need to adjust for them with as much detail and statistics as you are putting into it. They use them because of media and a larger work area. If there was no video or gaming online..there would be no need for widescreen displays. Who would care about looking at a website with no multimedia in widescreen format?

As far as viewing websites is concerned a 15" monitor would be fine. They are just text and images. I expect the layout to be much the same as print media. You should be emulating a print layout like a brochure, magazine or newspaper, not a video.

You can't account for every possible resolution and it doesn't matter anyway. Just ensure that the most amount of people can view it normally. Use Worldwide stats, not just your site stats.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 03-28-2011 at 03:01 AM.

It looks good in Opera and FF at 1920 x 1200 and at 1680 x 1050. By comparison I clicked on one of your other sites and it didn't look good on a big screen. I have a 28" (not wide screen) monitor. So what you are doing looks good on the larger monitors.

Array

Thanks, Bill. And Harold.

Banned
    Array

If you have Google Analytics installed on your website, prior to creating a new website, always check what size screen the majority of your audience views your website. This will help you! Trust me.

Array

It's only statistics but it may help you w3 school display.
    I use 1280x800 and 1680x1050.
    imo, it's important to avoid horizontal scrolling on "regular screen" like 1024x768. If your content is centered with a descent css then, you shouldn't spend too much time to try optimizing your pages for a screen size.

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    That's definitely one approach. Another is to make your site more responsive to different conditions. A couple of weeks ago Smashing Magazine posted about responsive web design. Part of that is making more of your design flexible. Images for example can be coded to vary size by using % instead of px.

I think it comes down to understanding what's going to happen as browsers resize, both up and down. The more you understand what will happen the more you can set limits where appropriate and allow for full flexibility. 2 layouts is certainly one approach, but I think there's going to be more to it.
    If you are working with responsive design, it is important to consider the wide variety of monitor resolutions. Moreover, their shape is also important. As it turned out, many people use square monitors, which requires optimization for other resolutions. I can recommend the article "how to make responsive website design"