Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you still do it if it wasn't for money?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Would you still do it if it wasn't for money?

I'm sure we have all pondered what we would do if we didn't have to work. Most people who work for a living have this escape from reality at least once.

Just wondering how may of you would still do whatever it is that you do, if it wasn't an issue.
    Whether it be that you reach the pinnacle of success and can retire comfortably, or somehow the stars aligned just right and you fell ass backwards into money.

Would you still do the daily grind of running your own business, reaching everyday for the stars if you already had the stars?

If not what would you do instead?

I can say that since I have to work, I couldn't think of anything else that I would rather do, other than what I'm doing now. But if I didn't need the money, there is no doubt that I wouldn't continue to do it the same way.

I'd always want to be involved in the web in some fashion, but I'd probably move to a more development role for some larger projects of my own, and use my current skills for charitable organizations in some way. And then probably spend my free time as a Red Cross volunteer.

I'd probably be even busier than I am right now, spread among more things.

If you didn't have to work to keep the bills paid, what would you do?

I'd go stir crazy doing nothing. But I would radically change my business model to make it more fun. If I really had money, perhaps raise money for a charity or something.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd be doing exactly what I'm doing now. Maybe not every last detail, but I would still be designing and developing websites and I'd still be running this forum. Being in business for myself has always been about a lot more than money to me. Money is important, but it's a few items down the list. More important was to be able to spend my day doing something I enjoy and be able to do it on my schedule, not an employers schedule. I also have goals related to accomplishments that I want to complete.

Assuming I suddenly found myself so wealthy that I never had to think about money again some of the details would change. I probably wouldn't be building sites for clients, though I might still choose to do some. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be spending much time marketing. I'd likely take more vacations. It would be much easier to not work on those days I wake up not wanting to work.

I'd still be designing, developing, and writing. I enjoy doing all three. The details of what I design, develop, and write and who I do it for would probably differ though.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I'd still be doing what I do - but I'd probably be busier because I'd be doing more of it in a philanthropic manner. Also I'd travel more!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

I think since the majority of people here are working in businesses that they started or at least took over
    that if what they are doing now isnt what they would be doing ....

might be time to find a new business plan.

But so far it looks like everyone responding is doing what they really enjoy and want to do. That's the
    most important thing right my friends so what ever you are doing today let me just add ... have fun!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I can honestly say that the ability to make money at this is a huge motivation, since I need money. I can't say that I have loved any kind of work to the point of doing it just to keep busy. If I were an educator, counselor, medical professional or something of that nature..sure, that's different. Those aren't careers motivated by money. If there was no money in this, I wouldn't/couldn't do it. Something has to keep the lights on and roof overhead.
    But there is an excitement in this that I love, so I would definitely want to continue. Just differently.

Charity is another thing.

I could see myself doing this for people who can't afford to have it done...for instance this past year I have probably helped out 3 or 4 charitable sites ranging from people trying to raise money for schoolbooks and fresh drinking water in a country that I probably couldn't have found on an atlas beforehand, to a site for a little girl who's only parent has a traumatic brain injury and can't provide support for her. Pretty much anyone like that that has asked for help, I have helped without fail no matter the time.
    I mean, you have to help people like that. Don't you?

If I were to continue doing websites, it would be in that fashion. I couldn't do it for money anymore once I didn't need the money anymore.
    I mean, since this thread is an escape from reality, why take orders from people to make a few hundred or thousand dollars, when you already have millions?

I'm not one of those people that hit the lottery for a hundred million and says that they are still going to keep their $14hr job at a meat packing plant. There is so much work out there that could be done to make a difference in someone's life that's more important than packing hot dogs.

To be realistic, I'd be just fine never doing another day's work for money and I wouldn't go stir crazy one bit.

If I were blessed enough to achieve such a position, I would almost consider it my duty to stop what I was doing, make room for someone else, and do the work that most people don't have the time or resources to do. For me to continue at this level instead of getting out there and really doing something that matters and helps people that really need the help, would almost be selfish and a waste of my good fortune. There are enough selfish wealthy people in this country. I could never be one of them.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 01-25-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Array

for sure!!! and i would have a more fabulous building and a little wilder shopping for inventory...so it would be different....
    .i am actually doing what i like to do most of the time...... and money isnt the main objective now so it might not be such a huge change for me.....
    i would probably get a full time maid...and a bit more more staff in general...
    the challenge might be where to put the service i would like to do.. it might be around starting some kind of business incubator for young people...
    Last edited by greenoak; 01-26-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Harold I wouldn't suggest that money isn't a motivator for me. It definitely is. It's just that it's not the primary motivator. It's a few down the list.

What I do for business combines so many of the things I truly love to do. I know I'd be doing them if I had money, because they're things I've always done regardless of where I was working. Many of the things I do now are things I used to do for relaxation after working. Again the details of what I do now would change. If I didn't need money then making more wouldn't be a motivator. That's the part that would change. The general design/development/writing wouldn't.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

It would really just push up the fiction writing part of my life. That is the plan once I get everything all in place and am making a decent enough income to support my hobbies and dreams...

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I would still be doing what I do, I would just be doing it for free to help struggling businesses out. I'd also be doing a lot more writing for fun instead of profit.