Thread: Capital loss write off for home office?

Array

Default Capital loss write off for home office?

I am selling a house right now and I'm taking a huge hit on the sale. I'm basically selling it for $45,000 less than I bought it for AND I put in about $30,000 of improvements finishing the basement.

A loss on the sale of a personal residence can not - to the best of my knowledge - be deducted on income taxes.

However, a funny thing happened - I was talking to my brother who is a financial planner in training. He was talking to his boss about my home sale and because I keep an office at home and do quite a bit of work there there may be a way to deduct part of the loss if I have capital gains this year from other sources.

I have routinely claimed the office portion of the house for years as a write-off so that is well defined. As far as the rest of it - does anyone know if there's truth in it? It was be VERY nice to be able to use even part of that as a deduction.

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

To my knowledge, no loss can be claimed for the business. A home sold as a loss is always a nondeductible personal loss. Similarly, if you sold it for a gain, you would not recognize any part of it as a gain for the business, except when you recapture depreciation.

Your brothers thinking is probably along the lines that a portion of the house would be considered an asset of the business, seperate from that of the house. The IRS doesn't see it that way.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Array

>>quote: Similarly, if you sold it for a gain, you would not recognize any part of it as a gain for the business, except when you recapture depreciation.<<

I agree with Evan that for the year 2008 a "loss" is not allowed on a sale of an office in the home.

However as to the gain quote statement above, for years beginning in 2009 a "gain" will be taxable on the office space/proportion of the home (any nonqualified residence use) even if the residence could otherwise be excluded from taxes (see the 2008 tax law changes). Its kind of like you have 2 sales, one the office based on period of use, and one the residence. The prior depreciation taken is just considered a part of the gain that is taxed as ordinary income tax rate rather than capital gain rate.

Quote:>>Your brothers thinking is probably along the lines that a portion of the house would be considered an asset of the business, seperate from that of the house. The IRS doesn't see it that way.<<

Beginning in 2009 the IRS now sees it that way.
    Last edited by OldJack; 11-04-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Hey Jack. I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us and thanks for joining the community.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Thanks for the welcome Vangogh!

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

OldJack -- wonderful to see you on board!
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Jack, with the absense of your intro thread for now, let me also welcome you to the new hangout. I'm glad you found us.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Jeez! I have never had such a welcome. Thanks guys. Looks like the old site owners shot themselves in the head.