Thread: Can 403(b) funds be useded towards the purchase of an existing business?

Default Can 403(b) funds be useded towards the purchase of an existing business?

I am looking at buying the business that I have been managing the last couple of years. My father is looking at possibly helping with the purchase and we were wondering if a portion of his 403(b) plan can be used to help purchase the business. We are not sure if we will partner or if he will just help fund the purchase. Any help is appreciated.

Gipper

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

Is he looking to hold an equity interest in the new venture, or is this supposed to be merely a loan?

I'd never recommend that an individual use their retirement funds on their own business venture, it's simply too risky.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Array

Does his plan even allow him to take a loan? If it does, there is probably a limit as to how much he could borrow. He should look at his plan document and then look under IRS regulations for 403(B) plans.

Array

Most self-directed retirement plans can be used to finance a business purchase - they essentially invest in the business - just like they would invest in any other company. Know that there could be loses and huge fees.

However, do to the nature of a 403(b) - I don't think these can be used for a business purchase - a house purchase yes. Need to talk to your 403(b) administrator as to their requirements.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Array

I was wrong - 403(b)s can be used to purchase a business, a franchise or even to recapitalize a business. Nearly any retirement accounts can be used as long as it can be rolled over into a self-directed account.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!