Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Free WP vs. Self-hosted

Array

Quite right. As long as you realize that whenever you refer to a "reputable" hosting company (or reputable anything else, for that matter) you are relying on someone else to be and remain reputable. I thought the whole point of all this was to have control.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Quite right. As long as you realize that whenever you refer to a "reputable" hosting company (or reputable anything else, for that matter) you are relying on someone else to be and remain reputable. I thought the whole point of all this was to have control.
    You have less control over a free host than anything because they can, and often do change the rules frequently, and hold the switch to shut down your site at will for anything they deem a good reason or violation or even just a misunderstanding, because on a free host, you don't even own the website. You own the content, but they are merely letting you use the website and can end that agreement at will.

Unless you have your own server and are your own portal to the web, you will never be in complete control of every little thing, but when it comes to your website, you should be in as much control as you can.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You're really just talking about the quality of your hosting company now. For $5 a month you're not getting a lot. Your site is usually on a single server with hundreds or thousands or other sites and yes there could be problems like the server going down etc. There are companies that will mirror your site on multiple servers in multiple locations so if one goes down the other takes over and there's no effect to your site. You should expect to pay more though for your site to be hosted like that.

The case you mentioned your site is still down. Even if it's only part of the site then you're still having issues. If your site and blog can work so independently of each other then you probably aren't maximizing the whole. You basically have 2 different sites with some cosmetic things to connect them. So yes on that possible day one server has a problem part of your site is still running and you're a little ahead. On every other day you're behind since you aren't taking advantage of everything your site(s) can do for you.

I'd also suggest with free hosting you have a greater chance of your site going down. The following is a generalization, but if you're a hosting company who makes money by having servers running you have more incentive to keep the servers running and fix them when there are issues. If you're giving the hosting away for free, there's probably less incentive to do both. Not that you won't take care of the servers, but rather there's a good chance you have other things to deal with that take precedence.

WordPress.com offers both free and paid hosting so they do have incentive to fix things. And like I said in an earlier post I absolutely trust them as a company. I'm pretty sure they'll provide you a good service for as long as you have your blog there. However you're never going to have the same control over your site as you would by self-hosting.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Additionally, most hosts rent space in a computer data center. It is not just being used for host X. Host X may use technicians provided by the data center or use their own. "Even small hosts tend to have multiple locations. I know my host, who is small, has several different locations. An earthquake hits LA and takes out a data center, it wouldn't surprise me if you are down for a day, but the hosts most likely have contingency plans. Additionally the LA quake would likely affect a number of hosts, LANS, and other services that require a secure, backed up facility.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Bill have you ever read some of the measures taken by data centers to protect their servers. They're probably some of the most secure buildings in the world. Servers are stored x feet off the ground to protect from flood. They have multiple generators onsite to ensure power. You can't enter the room with the servers without passing through several security checkpoints, some requiring fingerprint and/or retina scans.

It's amazing how much protection data centers provide for servers and it makes sense given how many businesses could be affected by even a few minutes of downtime.

There's a huge difference between $10 and under a month hosting and the high end.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals