Thread: When does a blog post become an article...

Array

Default When does a blog post become an article...

or the other way round even.

Is there any sort of guide to length for blog posts or such. Or does it really come down to mostly personal preference?
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think it's more personal perspective. Blog posts are usually more informal, but I've certainly written blog posts that would fall into the article category. An article probably assumes more research too, though I've also written blog posts that were more researched than many articles I've read.

Generally with a blog, think shorter and more informal, though that is in generally.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think the length of a post is really up to the discretion of the writer. I tend to write longer posts. Most of them are probably at least short article length. Some people tend to write much shorter posts. A few sentences or a paragraph at most.

There isn't really a set length. For your blog, write what feels comfortable for you.

Vangogh is right though, as a general rule, people tend to expect blog posts to be shorter and more informal.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I post articles on one of my blogs that same as I do article submission sites.

For my blog, 500 words is enough to make the point and promote a product or site, with a link to the sale page.
    If you use your own blog to promote additional sites that you own, along with submission sites, it's just one more opportunity to grab a first page spot within the niche.

If your blog is already indexed with readership or even PR, why wouldn't you use it to promote your other stuff ?

My blog the Mansfield Herald is set up magazine style with many different categories for a reason. My other sites are in the categories that i have chosen. You don't wnat to use it just for self promotion because you want to retain readership, but you can structure it so that you have an opportunity to promote other projects frequently.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 09-23-2008 at 10:25 PM.