Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you get links to your website?

Array

great info!!...im mostly benefitting from natural links...but maybe should try for more on your list...like directories.and i know lots of relevant blogs i could post on but they are so far away ....maybe when things slow down...
    i would sure like t find some relevant places to post etc.... where stores hang out....or regionally where house style people hang out...
    ......seeing where visits come from is interesting..
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Jo Ellen I'd stay away from the directories requiring you to pay. There are a handful of directories where it might be worth paying to join, like the Yahoo directory ($300 a year), but most aren't going to offer enough value to justify the money. On the bright side $19 isn't a lot. Sorry I thought I had mentioned not to pay earlier in the thread, but think I only mentioned not linking back to the directory as a requirement for being included.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Hi There

When you implement any linking strategy, it's important that you remember high quality counts. And never ever get involved in any kind of "scheme." Who you link to is very important, so make sure you hook up with high quality sites.

[edited]
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-13-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Unsolicited self promotion

Array

I complained to Pay Pal and they contacted the directory and I got an email from the directory saying they had activated my listing. They said the activation email they had sent me probably went in my spam folder, but it didn't, I never received it. But lesson learned, no more paid directories for now. I can't afford the bigger ones right now. I'll just try to build links the natural way, commenting on forums and articles. Maybe it will help some. I just have to be patient.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Building links is an ongoing process. Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yeah don't worry too much about the more expensive directories like Yahoo. There are some that are worth being listed in under $100 if you're interested, but if it means anything I've never paid to be in a directory.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Yeah don't worry too much about the more expensive directories like Yahoo. There are some that are worth being listed in under $100 if you're interested, but if it means anything I've never paid to be in a directory.
    And to add to that, I've never picked up any traffic from a general directory including DMOZ, and Mahalo.

I do occasionally get hits from a general directory but it is so infrequent and such a minuscule portion of the total that I would say it is not worth putting any effort into.

The best (but slowest) way to get valuable links is to provide good content. My LLC site gets links from libraries and edu sites as a reference. This month I even got a few hits from Wikipedia, so someone must have used my site as a reference on an article there. If you don't have content that is worth someone voluntarily linking to, you'll have a hard time getting enough valuable links to make much of a difference.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Great content is absolutely the foundation for getting links. I think you still need to give your content a push so it gets noticed by some people. Where and how you push it is the question and there's no one right answer.

Banned
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by jamesray50 View Post
    How do you get links to your website? Right now I have two links and I don't know where they came from. Is there some way to see where the links are coming from?
    There are many online tools available which can show you the domain from where the links are coming. Watch links is one of them and you can download the SEO Quake and SEO Power suit's back link checker which shows the back link URL and you'll get the idea that form where the link is coming.