Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tag Line or Slogan

Array

Default Tag Line or Slogan

How do you come up with a tag line or slogan for your business that will stand out in people's mind? One that comes to my mind is for Kentucky Fried Chicken - It's Finger Lickin Good!

My company name is Top Notch Bookkeeping and my tag line is Payroll and Bookkeeping Services. But is that really a tag line or just an extension of my name? I want people to know what I do and that it does include payroll which isn't mentioned in the company name.

I'm not creative when it comes to stuff like this, I guess that is why advertisers get paid the big bucks. (They do get paid big bucks don't they?)

I was just was wanting you're alls thoughts on this.

Array

I think for a bookkeeping company you may be better off with just a description. A fancy or clever tagline may not help your cause, but further description (like you have) might.
    Steve B

Array

As Steve says, a slick, clever tagline may not hekp you, but something more sedate and professional might. Not all taglines are slick and clever. i particularly liked the old GE tag - We bring good things to life. Their current one is quite sober, too - Imagination at work.

What about IBM's - Solutions for a small planet.

You don't need to be The Real Thing or Finger lickin' good or the Quicker picker-upper.

We get it right the first time.
    Building better books.
    Accurate and On Time.
    Fast, accurate and dependable.

You can even use a snippet from your own copy -- Down the street, around the world.

I think every business should have a tagline. I've used - Building businesses, building lives, building wealth - as long as I can remember.

Just play with it and see what comes up.

Array

Three suggestions:
    1) Let your clients help with this - let them tell you how they feel. Make it a competition with prizes and such. Let people vote for the best or make suggestions. Use it to your advantage - might even get more business from it. Might even get some free publicity out of it.
    2) Don't focus on what you do - but what need you satisfy. So, not 'payroll and bookkeeping service' as that is what you do but more like 'Relieving your financial burden so that you can focus on your business' as that is the need being met.
    3) Hire a very creative public relation group to come up with one - they will use focus groups made up of your potential customers - see item number 1 above.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

One thing about a tag line, if it sucks it will do immeasurable harm. Also, if you really don't have the budget to market and brand it, it really doesn't do what it's supposed to. Personally, I stick to an accurate description or unique selling point.

Array

But if your website sucks, it will do immeasurable harm, won't it? If your pictures suck it will do immeasurable harm (so I have been told quite forcefully!) If your business sucks... etc. You could say that for just about anything in business. So... do it well, then you won't have that problem.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Jo Ellen you don't need to be super slick with your tagline. Think of it as a few quick words that can sum up what you do or differentiate yourself from your competition. I did a quick search for "bookkeeping services" and found this tagline for a company here in Boulder.

Complete Payroll, Accounting and Bookkeeping Services

Something like that is all you need. You just want to make it very clear what you do so that someone who isn't familiar with your business can understand what you do in a couple of seconds.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Plumber: dont sleep with a drip
    #1 in #2

Array

im not sure how we got ours, just working and working on it until one hit probably, but i really like them and have stuck to them for a long time....even if im sick of them if we feel like they are good i dont want to throw them out unless i have a lot better one....
    ours are...3 buildings full..save money with style......a fun place to shop......and bring a friend and a truck.....they work and reflect our message and core attractions...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    But if your website sucks, it will do immeasurable harm, won't it? If your pictures suck it will do immeasurable harm (so I have been told quite forcefully!) If your business sucks... etc. You could say that for just about anything in business. So... do it well, then you won't have that problem.
    That's all true too. I guess my point was that coming up with slogans and catch phrases is really not the strong point of most business owners and what many think is fun and catchy based on their own style of humor, doesn't always translate well to other people.
    If you need some bad examples just watch some of your local TV commercials, specifically lawyers. They're horrible.