Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tag Line or Slogan

Array

Humor in business can be tricky - which is going to be covered in my new blog, "Making Business Fun" - but one doesn't have to be humorous in a tagline. A tagline doesn't have to be considered the punchline of a joke. One's business is never a joke.

But it, and they, can be fun. Fun and funny aren't the same. (Just rambling a bit to get in a mention of my new blog - did I tell you I have a new blog out called....! Drat! Shouldn't have said that!)

Nike's "Just Do It!" is not humorous. McDonald's tagline "I'm Lovin' It!" is not humorous. In fact, I suggest with humorous taglines the humor distracts from the message. A tagline, I feel, should portray something about a company. Light and pleasant, yes - humorous, no. Also, not boring "This is our work."

What is the spirit that pervades your organization? Are you sticklers for accuracy? Do you get your stuff done quickly? Does your company love to experiment? What is that special character that your group has developed and how can that help your customers?

We bring good things to life. Building a smarter planet. How do you spell relief?

All great taglines none of them funny.

Array

Hey! Lets have a little contest --

Who has the best tagline? What are the first words on your website after your company name?

Mine is

"Building businesses, building lives, building wealth."

What's yours?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

On one site it's "Freelance Wordpress Webmaster and Consultant" and my phone number.
    On the other it's "Freelance Web Professionals for hire" and the phone number.

I wouldn't call them tag lines. They are key phrases. I'll attract more attention using them than a tag line.
    I don't believe in putting slogans in the title unless you have marketed it to the point where it is recognizable.

That area is precious real estate and when people see it I'd rather have an accurate description of what services I offer, rather than a slogan..because they didn't search for a slogan:

To me, using an unmarketed slogan there is a wasted opportunity to capitalize on search results.
    I'm actually considering removing the site name all together since it is in the URL anyway (don't really need it there) to make room for additional terms or have the phone number visible.
    Added:
    Actually since I said that, it made sense and I just removed the site titles so that the services are seen first. Don't really need any vanity there, just purpose.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-11-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: New info

Array

You're right - you don't have any taglines.

i wouldn't think one would want to put a tagline in the site title unless they were keywords (which is not likely.) No-one is going to be attracted to your business because of a tag line - taglines are only good once your prospects are there (on your site or in your store.)

"Just do it!" means nothing until you are bellybutton-to-bellybutton with Nike shoes.

But I put it to you that a tagline is to your text what you tell me pictures are to your design. If you are concerned with wasting the position regarding search engines, then place the tagine as an image and use your targetted keywords for the alt tag. Once I know that you are a freelance wordpress webmaster and consultant, I want to know how you do it, what your "thing" is. Do you "bring good things to life?" Are you a "just do it" kind of a guy? Do you enjoy what you do - "I'm lovin' it!?" Is your attitude, "Don't give them just a website, give them some pizzazz?" That is what will put you above all the other freelance wordpress webmasters out there trying to get my attention.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I can agree with that. But I don't have one and in a year I haven't come up with anything that I would want people actually reading, so I'd rather not force it. If something comes up, I'll use it, but I'm not going to force one. It's really not that important to me to have one for my type of business.
    I do think that it would fit well for your type of business. What people want from me as opposed to what they want from you is totally different.

From me they just want technical skills and to get a job done. Actually they don't really care how I get the job done.

From you they want an assurance that you have the chops to help make them successful and tech them something that they don't know that they can use to make money.

No one is trying to learn from me so I can represent myself visually. I don't think a tag line would make or break me, but in your case, something motivational or something that shows off your business philosophy would be a good fit.

Array

Business 1
    "Freedom and Safety for Your Pets, and Peace of Mind for you"

Business 2
    "Premioum Pet Food at Your Door"
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

My current tagline is:

People Friendly & Search Friendly Web Design
    We don't have one for the forum, though maybe something would be appropriate.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

gosh eborg you might be underestimating this tag line idea.... if you had a tag line that somehow said... i can help you and make your tekk problems go away...or i can bring your web ideas to life........wouldnt that be a good thing ? a needed statement to easily communicate what you can do for the customer? a good tagline just helps get your selling point across.... i think its especially good for any business that is trying to say something complicated to their potential customers....in their language...
    and you are so right about us, out here in the non tekk world , not caring how you did it....
    ann
    Last edited by greenoak; 12-13-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

It's not that I have anything against it. I just don't have one that I like.

Array

i hear you....thats my problem for reaching my new customers...i need the right words but havent found them yet.....its just pretty complicated....and has to be right....
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com