Thread: Questions About Professional CD / DVD Creation

Default Questions About Professional CD / DVD Creation

I was just sitting down looking through my CD / DVD collection. I know eventually I'm going to have to create professional CDs and DVDs. I have a CD / DVD burner but it can only create labels with LightScribe. After looking at the high quality labels that are on most of these CDs and DVDs, I know this is what I want to produce in the end for my products. How do I go about producing these high quality color labels and affixing them onto CDs and DVDs? Is this possible to do this in my home with some equipment?
    Soon to be online business owner

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

We do it here. You can buy CD and DVD labels from OnlineLabels.com. They're good quality. The problem is printing them. We have a high quality color laser printer here and it does an awesome job, but it's probably a bit expensive for a smaller business. You'll need to invest in the best quality printer you can get. Then you need to make sure that the labels you purchase are suitable for that printer. Make sure you check that point out thoroughly. If the labels won't work with your printer you're in for headaches.

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to create the original material. You can burn the CDs on your laptop, but you need a good quality camera to shoot DVD footage that looks professional. You also need a good editing program and good sound recording. What are you planning to use to accomplish that?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I hadn't heard of LightScribe until you mentioned it, but I looked them up and checked out the technology. From what I see it looks pretty good and I would think you could create professional labels with it. My guess is the professionalism comes from creating the artwork and learning what you can do with LightScribe and learning to do it well.

Is there something specific LightScribe can't do? My familiarity with it is only the last few minutes scanning their site.

Another option would be printing a label that you then attach to the cd/dvd. I don't really know the options that exist for printing labels, but I'm sure there are more than a few. Again though, I would think the professionalism has less to do with the technology and more to do with the artwork and being able to use the technology well.

Looks like Kristine beat me to the post.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I guess from my experience with Lightscribe, the only thing it cannot do is be quick. This is maybe 2 years ago so it may have changed, but it used to take anything up to half an hour for the lightscribe label, maybe they have fixed this now, i am not sure.

Also another option that you maybe had not considered is Direct to disk printer, there are printers available from both Epson and Canon i believe that will allow you to print direct to the top surface of a specially coated CD or DVD. I found with the right disc's and printer you can get quite a professional look, and don't have to think about trying to line up the label as you are sticking it on.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

You may consider using one of a number of order fulfillment houses. Often for less than you can do it on your own they can produce, package and ship your products for you. Both digital and print, or a combo of binder, print course and dividers and media in the appropriate pockets.

Do a search for order fulfillment houses and see what you get.

Array

I agree there pete, i have not used a fulfillment house, but i would imagine they would absolutely work out cheaper at a certain point. If you want to just do a few sample/trial copies then DIY is going to work out cheaper.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels