Thread: First Steps

Banned
    Array

Default First Steps

What are some of the first steps you take when starting a new business? Are there any key actions to take to begin this process? Or right away once it has been launched?

Array

It really depends on what you want to do. A solid business plan that is reviewed by several objective people and a S.C.O.R.E. counselor (through the Small Business Administration) was how I started. This helped confirm my decision to start a business.

After that decision was made, I made an appointment with a local business attorney to make sure I took care of all the legal stuff. In my area, there wasn't too much to worry about as far as licenses etc. Then, I opened a separate bank account.
    Steve B

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd say a good solid plan is a must. It doesn't have to be formal, but you should have a good idea of where you want to go, what your target market is and how you're going to reach them, and how you're going to manage the day to day operations of your business.

I think Steve B's recommendation of talking with a SCORE counselor or the Small Business Administration is a good one. They can help you in a lot of ways.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Hello again, Dan. In addition to some great advice you are already getting here, we had another thread a while back that dealt with this too, and you can also glean some useful ideas and considerations there.

Here's the thread:

https://www.small-business-forum.net/...ss-owners.html
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

I'd go make a sale first. Really.

Don't worry about a plan. Don't worry about the name, a logo, business cards, or a business bank account. Just go make a sale.

If you make a product, make one and sell it on ebay. If you want to start a service, go do the service on some Saturdays. If you want to open a store, go sell some product at a flea market.

Go make some sales. That should be your first step. The rest will come from that.

Good luck!!!
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

I would definitely incorporate. Did you know that if you incorporate in Delaware you can take advantage of options not offered when incorporating in other states?

You might be interested in this blog post that gives some good reasons to **Spam deleted**
    Last edited by cbscreative; 11-26-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spam

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by bthompson6472 View Post
    I would definitely incorporate. Did you know that if you incorporate in Delaware you can take advantage of options not offered when incorporating in other states?

You might be interested in this blog post that gives some good reasons to **Spam removed**.
    Bad idea. https://www.small-business-forum.net/...-delaware.html
    Last edited by cbscreative; 11-26-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the mess from original Spam in quote
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Array

Quote Originally Posted by bthompson6472 View Post

You might be interested in this blog post that gives some good reasons to **Spam removed**.

Sorry, but this is pretty close to spam.
    Last edited by cbscreative; 11-26-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Same as above in Evan's post
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Refugee from the .com
    Array

You're right, Dan, but we did straighten that one out. There was a misunderstanding about forum rules on this post, it's been cleared up, and we appreciate everyone here paying close attention.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt