Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brutal Honesty

Array

WOW! It's not even the same website! I actually liked the other one better except for the tone on tone. Sorry.

Oh, personally I don't like websites where I have to go through a door to get into the site. I'd rather see up front what is being offered. It's like it's a secret. I rarely click through when I come to a website like that.

Array

This one did nothing for me, I'm afraid. I think Splash pages are dangerous. My thought process went --

1. Is this all there is for a home page - home, portfolio, contact?
    2. No, wait! This is a splash page. Drat! Click, Skip Intro.
    3. Second page - Is this all there is? From a design firm?
    4. Bye!

There was nothing to compel me to stay around and learn about you.

SEO? I don't see anything the SEs could index. But SEs are not the only way to get work, of course.

ADDED: About the color. I'm not an expert on color, by any means, and you surely know a lot more about color than I do. Blue, to me, is an authoritative color - a take-charge color - vibrant, strong, commanding. But there is also another kind of blue - down, depressing, sad - when you have "the blues." You seem to have chosen this latter kind of blue, and I don't think that is helping you. (If you don't agree with that, ignore me - I really am not a color expert - as my wife will eagerly confirm!)
    Last edited by Spider; 12-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Array

I too liked the other one better - I didn't watch the whole splash page and the home page doesn't hold my interest.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Sorry, but I agree with the others. This is a step backwards. Think of yourself as your client here. From what I have seen of your work in your portfolio, you would deliver a much more effect site to your clients. Do the same for yourself.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have to agree as well. Not too big on splash pages unless they immediately go to the home page.

I know exactly what you are going through. It's easy to do for clients because they give you something to go on, but when you are doing your own it's a lot harder.
    On the one hand, you want your site to be a visual representation of your skills and talents, but you also have to make it user friendly or they will never stick around to see it.

I think you should go back to the basics and answer the questions that people will want answered immediately when they come to your page.

1. Who are you?
    2. What do you do
    3. Are you any good?
    4. Why should I hire you?
    5. How do I contact you?

And then figure out a way to wrap that in your style.
    The new version shows off your skills, but it doesn't effectively sell your services or provide a potential client with enough information to make a decision.
    Writing the content on your website is even harder than designing it, but you have to engage people and make them want to call you.

Array

Ugh. Thanks again guys.
    Aaron Baker
    Owner/Graphic Designer
    501 Graphic Design

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Looks like I missed a lot. I may have missed an intermediate design. What I see now I like a lot better than what I initially saw when you started this thread. Based on what everyone else is saying about this being a step backwards, I'm thinking I missed something in between these two.

What I see now though looks far better than what I saw originally. I think it shows off your talents better. However…

I agree with everyone about the splash page. Splash pages and intros do nothing but keep people away from the content they want. If you want to show off your ability with Flash do so inside the site where people who want to see it can access it, but everyone else can ignore it. And realize that there are people who prevent Flash from loading by default. Me for example. So when I landed on your home page I saw a lot of emptiness.

I still think you need more content. Sure I can see the three types of services you offer, but I really want to know more before choosing you over the company down the street.

The way the portfolio is set up now the next and previous links aren't obvious. Keep in mind many people will need to scroll to see them and may instead click back or away instead of scrolling, particularly when the page doesn't give much indication there's anything to scroll to.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Actually, you're seeing exactly what everyone else dislikes. I'm in the preliminary stages of a redesign that will a) eliminate the landing page and b) contain much more content. I'm glad you like it!
    Aaron Baker
    Owner/Graphic Designer
    501 Graphic Design

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I like the design and the use of colors much better. You've definitely made strides in that area. Not wild about the flash page and the fact that the portfolio starts scrolling and there really isn't any way to tell what you need to do. I finally clicked the home link to see what would happen and then I got some explanation.

I'm also totally in agreement with Vangogh about the need for additional explanatory text.

Remember, and I'm sure as a designer you know this, sometimes you have to go through a couple of sort of right versions before you get to one that is right. I think you've made some good changes with this one, now you just need to refine it.

Array

You're right. This is about the tenth version of my site over the last copule of years. Lol If I get bored and have no work coming in, I redesign it...and it's not always a good thing.
    Aaron Baker
    Owner/Graphic Designer
    501 Graphic Design