Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The World No Longer Exists

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Nice job on finding the videos. Interesting stuff.
    My first reaction is "This is really messed up!", looks like I need to start optimizing for Yahoo and Bing and hope that they don't do the same thing...for the moment.
    But, if this is the new direction of search, (and the numbers of people accessing the web via a mobile device would probably back this up), then we won't be able to depend on the SEO methods that we have been used to.

On the other hand, I also see opportunity. Maybe niche or industry specific directories will make a comeback because obviously everyone on the web that is searching does not want to be limited to just local search. It also makes syndication (blogging) even more important . Now more than ever because you will need multiple ways to attract people to your site besides just SEO.

Now that I have had a chance to see what you are talking about, I think you are correct. It's going to be very challenging to do business nationwide as this matures.
    It kinda sucks.

Array

But it is also an opportunity. To win this new game, you don't want to be nationally recognized, or internationally recognized - you need to be locally recognized in 5 million localities. What a bonanza that is for web designers, seo experts, and so on.

Once it was small businesses using the web to look like a big business. Now, big businesses will be falling over themselves to look like small businesses. Some people are going to be making a lot of money out of this!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I honestly think that this is just making Google more of a mobile search engine. I don't see this as a way for them to stay on top of the overall web search game because people do their serious searching, research, work, verifications, communication and so on..from their computers, not their mobile devices.

If Google wants to be the shopping, restaurant, pizza delivery, personal injury lawyer search engine then let them. But I know I personally do more "over all" search..meaning I want the best information from where ever it's from, far more than I do local searching.

If I spend 8 hours online, I may spend 5 minutes on local search. So for the rest of the 7 hours and 55 minutes, Google wants me to use Bing or Yahoo?
    How many people spend a lot of time looking for local results only?

I see the mentality behind it (capitalizing on the numbers of mobile access, and opening more advertising opportunity) but in a world where we are doing business with people from across the country and around the world, I think it's dangerous for them to dedicate so much real estate to local.

Who am I to second guess Google? But I just don't see this as the main way people want to search compared to the amount of time they spend on the internet,

There should be a choice. "Local Results" and "All Results". I think anything less is a huge misfire for Google.
    JMO
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

This is even scarier:
    Can I turn off location-based customization?

The customization of search results based on location is an important component of a consistent, high-quality search experience. Therefore, we haven't provided a way to turn off location customization, although we've made it easy for you to set your own location or to customize using a general location as broad as the country that matches your local domain.

If you find that your results for a particular search are more local than what you're looking for, you can set your location to a broader geographical area (such as a country instead of a city, zip code, or street address). Please note that this will greatly reduce the amount of locally relevant results that you’ll see.
    Source:Location : Features - Web Search Help

That's just CRAZY! Why would they do that?

However, I was successful in changing my location to "USA" instead of NV. But how many people will know how to do that, or even pay attention enough to notice a change.
    People are pretty much sheep on the internet.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-03-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Frederick, you want email only business and therefor your location is irrelevant. Your are optimizing your site for Houston whether your realize it or not. On top of that G already thinks you are from Houston and you need to convince them you are "the world".

I'd say get rid of any location references on your site if they aren't an image. BTW I did like the image of you in the old site with the hat. Texas is big, you made it big in Texas, you can show others how to do the same. I thought that was good and added character. But do it without flagging G in the local searches.