Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: e-bay rip off

I haven't had any ebay issues. I have had paypal issues. From the payment side, paypal attached my bank account to my paypal account. I tried to pay a merchant who happens to be a member of the former board and it didn't allow the transaction. It operated normally with other merchants. Low cost sales, not big bucks.

As a merchant, PayPal declined a lot of orders; probably 50%. On company credit cards. Fairly large order, but for small companies like the FAA, General Motors, General Electric, the US Coast Guard, etc. Little companies like that.

They also float money as a merchant. You charge a customer, that stays in PayPal until you pull it out. If they decide they don't like you, they freeze your funds until lawyers get involved.

If you are selling on ebay or in certain other markets, you pretty much have to use them. Don't consider them to be honest though, and their customer service is worse than talking to India.

I've bought a number of things on ebay. Some expensive stuff like computers.

They always make me nervous though. I like things like software on ebay. Can't beat the prices a lot of times. Still, I'd pay by credit card if you can. Actually, you can attach your credit card to your paypal account which should protect you.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have 5 ebay stores and I post on each one of them a few quick tips to protect yourself when shopping there.

1. Carefully read the item description
    This should give you a good understanding of what’s on offer. In particular check the picture, shipping details and buyer requirements. If you have any questions, email the seller.

2. Get to know your seller
    It’s important to get to know the seller’s reputation before you buy or bid on an item. You can do this by simply reviewing their feedback and if you have any questions just click on “Ask seller a question”.

Request the seller’s contact information and give the seller a call.

3. Pay safely
    There are several ways you can pay for your item – eBay recommends you use PaisaPay which is the safest and easiest way to pay online. Learn about the other payment options*.
    Credit card (and Debit Card) companies typically provide some level of identity and purchase protection as well.

4. NEVER pay with Western Union
    Instant money transfer services like Western Union are not safe to use online and are prohibited on eBay. Unscrupulous sellers prefer these payment methods and may try to convince you to pay this way but we urge you not to. Even Western Union warns against using their services for online payments, such as transactions on eBay.

Look for options like PaisaPay that offer buyer protection.

5. Protect yourself

If you receive an item that is significantly different to its description or you don’t receive it at all, you may be protected with the Buyer Protection Program**.

*If you have paid for an item, but didn’t receive it, or you paid for and received an item, but it was significantly different from the item description. Note: If you paid for your item with PayPal, you’ll be taken automatically to PayPal to file a PayPal Buyer Protection claim.

**Vehicle purchases are protected for up to $50,000 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower.

Note: If you have purchased items as a “guest”, your items will become eligible for buyer protection after you register. It is always better to register with Ebay before you place a bid, and keep your account current for all future transactions. Additionally, claims must be filed within 45 days of the PayPal payment.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I know it's too little too late for your situation, but Pay Pal has always been righteous when it comes to disputes. I have even complained over amounts as little as $5, and had a refund to my account within minutes of filing a dispute, as well as an apology from the seller.

For an amount that significant, I would have requested to talk to the seller by phone. If no response, no sale.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 10-04-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Array

Good advice E-borg. I violated one of my own cardinal rules with that purchase - I bought from a "company" that didn't provide a phone number. I just kind of forgot on this one - but, they had a good reputation and had been around Ebay for several years.
    Steve B