Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anchor text

Array

Default Anchor text

How important do you think anchor text is and in what regard?

I notice that my main site's new homepage comprises of five exit points to various aspects of what I offer - 4 pages within the main domain and one to a different domain but under my control. The text for each of these exit points are teaser intros and the anchor text on all five is "Read.more"

I am thinking that this does nothing for the target pages, but making them more suitable for the target pages' SEO would, I'm thinking, water down the keyword structure of the homepage's SEO, which is focussed solely on the single term, "Business coach."

It also means, by dropping the "Read.more" anchor, I then have no call to action.

What do you think are the pros and cons?
    Last edited by Spider; 11-26-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Array

i like the read more..... it lets several big ideas share the front page.....and the navigation makes sense, its user friendly......... i dont know about the seo etc...
    throwing around the word millionaire sounds kind of over the top...but hey you are in TEXAS!!
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I use anchor text when ever possible, but it's a catch 22 when you are talking about interlinking your own pages of your website. "read more" is a common link text, and you do have to think about the reader first.
    When it fits, I'll use something like "read more about whatever it is" with "what ever it is" acting as both a description of where it links to and anchor text for my SEO efforts.

If you are using some kind of image or button as the link, that's when alt title's, and a short description would come in handy. Sometimes you will notice that you will hover over a linked button and the pop up will be not only descriptive but link/SEO friendly for the website.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 11-26-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Array

Good points, both. I like the "read more about whatever it is" idea - it gives the reader-centric "read more" and the target seo-centric anchor, but it leaves out the negative potential of watering down the homepage's seo efforts.

Business coach - blah, blah, blah, read more - blah, blah, business coach - blah, blah - read more - blah, blah - business coach...

Or --

Business coach - blah, blah, blah - million dollar business - blah, blah - business coach - blah, blah - public speaker - blah, blah - bigger game - blah, blah - business coach - blah, blah - revitalize your business - blah, blah....

Set out like that, helping the seo of following pages looks very damaging to the seo of the source page. But is it really? And if it is, to what extent might it be damaging? And is one likely to gain more from reinforcing the various target pages serps positioning or from reinforcing the homepage serps positioning?

Or doesn't it really matter much either way?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

For your site, I would target the home page with your main keywords, and not too many. The most important ones.

You aren't "damaging" the home page by helping inner pages just as long as you don't target all pages with the exact same keywords and phrases. That will spread your juice too thin, and unnecessarily.
    No 2 pages should be about the exact same thing, so there should be no reason to target them the same.

Your main keyword(s), or phrase should be directed at the home page.

Not sure if that's what you were asking or not.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 11-26-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Correction

Array

Hi Spider,

You have a very interesting website. When I clicked on your home page I read the first column and clicked on more, went to the second page, and from there went to the rest of the pages from the links on each of those pages. I thought the pages looked nice, I liked the pictures, the header looked nice, the tabs at the top was nice. I went to the contact page and looked at it and then was going back to the home page and didn't see the tabs at the top. I thought for a minute there I was stuck on that page or would be required to contact you or sign up for your service, but then I saw the home link at the bottom of the page. I sort of thought that was a stange design. I don't think I have ever seen a design like that before, but that's my opinion, I'm not an expert on web design.

When I went back to your home page something seemed odd to me, and again, this is just my opinion, and maybe this is why it will work, but there is no header or menu items or anything to make me think I have landed on someone's home page. But, surprise, when I click on more, there is what looks like a website on the next page. I'm just rambling and do that sometimes when I don't know how to say what I am thinking. But, I guess I'm saying I think I like it. But, I have another question. On your price page, why is the last line of your prices in smaller fonts?

Array

The anchor text used for link is very important for SEO. It is what most search engines use to classify a link. Since these are links between your sites, I would keywords that represent the pages pointed to by the links. This way you can have several pages that are customized for specific keywords. If done correctly they will not compete against each other, but form a mesh that supports the entire group. In cases of conflicts you can always use a "Nofollow" tag.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Anchor text is certainly important, however I've come across some claims that "click here" or "read more" will get more clicks since the call to action is so direct. Also you don't necessarily want ever link pointing to a page to contain the exact same anchor text or it can appear too well optimized to a search engine. Some people say it's over optimized (which really doesn't make sense as a term) in the sense that you're sending a signal that your links aren't really natural.

Ideally try something like Harold suggested. The call to action can be in the sentence, but outside the anchor text itself. Or maybe get in a good call to action that's also more keyword rich.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Quote Originally Posted by eborg9 View Post
    ...Not sure if that's what you were asking or not.
    Well, no, not really. I was not looking for specific instructions, although your guidance is appreciated - I was asking more for a philosophical or logical viewpoint on the reasons you might recommended certain actions. If the introduction of other keywords and phrases into a page really dilutes the effectiveness of the main desired keyword, when those other keywords are anchor text, and if so to what extent, much or little, some or none.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If the introduction of other keywords and phrases into a page really dilutes the effectiveness of the main desired keyword, when those other keywords are anchor text, and if so to what extent, much or little, some or none.
    You should just use words naturally as you need. It's only a factor if you are trying to SEO (bring up in the serps by linking heavily to it) multiple pages with the same keywords (anchor text links).
    Just because one page is SEO'ed for the term "black" doesn't meant that you can't use "black" on other pages. Just don't try and rank those other pages for "black" as well because they are likely not as specifically about "black" as the main "black" page. Optimize them for different terms that are most relevant to what the page is actually about..not what the site is about.
    If Google doesn't see a direct match, it will push you behind other pages of the same niche, targeting the same keywords that are a direct match.

The introduction of other keywords and phrases into a page does not dilute anything. It's just a natural part of the content. Just don't use them as the same main anchor text as another page.
    In other words, don't use the term "black" as anchor text for multiple pages. Use it for the page who's content most directly matches "black".

The most SEO important information of a page is the Title, Keywords or Tags, and Description ( 160 characters). After that, the first paragraph should contain the targeted information, with more spread throughout the page naturally. Then anchor text linking to that page with same keyword/phrases.

You shouldn't target every page with the same terms. If you don't know what terms to target on a page, just boost the home page.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 11-27-2010 at 12:14 PM.