Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie here

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

If that's what your customers are saying then it makes sense to go with it. My comments are more a general one. Historically small businesses haven't been able to sustain competition on price and usually the better strategy is to compete on value. The problem with competing on price is someone else can always offer a lower price (or in your case a better commission). Companies that attract customers through price have to then continue to lower prices or their customers leave. Only large companies have the resources to continue to get into a price war and survive.

You know your business better than I do and I won't pretend to know more about it. If you think you're on the right track you should definitely follow that track and not listen to me. I wanted to point out about competing on price in general, but I'm definitely not trying to tell you what to do. More getting you to think about your strategy so you can make it as sound as possible.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Welcome - look forward to watch your company grow. Don't be affraid to try new things and see what works and what doesn't. Also, regarding price or diversity of products/offerings - ask your potential customers what they want - what they can't get from groupon - then do that and do it well. Know that you have two sets of customers - the businesses that list (you need to offer them services they can't get elsewhere) and those that come for the deals (you need to provide them services they cannot get elsewhere). Welcome.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Array

Which market are you going to be in first? How are you gathering your e-mail addresses?
    Steve B

Array

Right now we are concentrating on the Columbus market since that is where we all live and it is easier for us to meet with the businesses. We have other cities listed. We can add any city as long as we get enough interest in it. We are using Facebook, Fiverr, Twitter and some ads on craigslist to get subscribers. It's working so far. I just added your facebook page to my likes. If you ever plan on expanding the pet food delivery into Columbus let me know and I'll help get it started for you.
    Have you grabbd your deal today?

Best of luck in your new venture. There seem to be over 200 "groupon clones" in the market, though many of them are private-labeled daily deal sites sponsored by publishers. Differentiation will be key and finding a vertical or niche market would seem to be key.

Array

I think you should target the business that groupon leaves on the table. There are several businesses that they dont want to deal with because they are services and they dont have a cut and dried product. Take my business for example, if you offer a one time service at a below average price, you get the benefit of half the profits but I get the benefit of getting paid to make a sales call because that is half of what my one time visit is. It is a sales call for me to sell you a full years service. I would definately sign up for something like that. The customer still gets more than their money worth but I now have a new contact that would not have signed up had they not been interested in my service in the first place. Just something to think about.

Array

Vangogh, I needed to hear this: "Historically small businesses haven't been able to sustain competition on price and usually the better strategy is to compete on value." THANKS!

Array

Dan, I love the maintenance service that you offer! What a good idea!

Is your business doing well - did it "catch on"?