Thread: Daily Writing Practices

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Daily Writing Practices

For those of you who write, do you have any daily writing practices that you do? I know some people recommend free writing for a half an hour every day. Other say writing bursts are the way to go. Some people recommend writing for a set period of time and then stopping, even if you're in the middle of a sentence. I've also seen tips about keeping a writing journal.

I don't really have any standard practices I follow. I'm just wondering if other people do. If you do, does what you do help your writing?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've done that in the past, but now I spend so much time each day writing one thing or another that I don't get out of practice.

I used to keep a journal that I would write in every day. I've also from time to time followed specific writing exercises I've found in books. Nothing on a schedule though.

One thing I do is experiment with my writing. I may try to write a blog post with a slightly different style just to see what comes of it. Sometimes I'll end up incorporating an experiment into my style and other times it stays in the one post.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I tried the journaling thing for a while, but it ended up being more of a burden than a help. It became an obligation, so I quit doing it.

I'm like you, I write so much now that I feel like I'm always practicing in one way or another.

Array

Yea, I write for business every single day (even if it's just places like this.) And every weekday, there's client work. I need no routine

I do think when you see "writing tips" like this (a routine, etc), they are more for the aspiring fiction / novel writer. I think most copywriters / professional writers write every day regardless.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Interesting Dan. When I was keeping a writing practice routine it was at a time when I was writing more fiction. It did help keep me in practice then.

Now I easily write a few thousand words each day between forums, email, blogging, social media, etc. It's enough to keep me in practice. I do pay attention to what I'm writing, though, so as to improve. If you never pay attention to the words you use you'll keep repeating them. I guess my practice now could be defined as being aware of what I've written.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think you definitely need to be mindful of what you write and how you write. I'm sure I easily write a couple thousands words a day as well, but I always am striving to write a paragraph or two with which I am really happy. Sometimes I actually manage to do that.