Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A state of adaquate disorder ...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

As long as you keep up with the WP security updates you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting hacked. It can happen. Nothing is every 100% secure. But the WP developers are pretty good about fixing things quickly and offering security patches when necessary.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Hi Van,

That's good to know. (About the inherent security via updates).
    The main thing is to always have a backup so that no matter what happens (I'm sure it's much more likely I'd accidentally crash my own site), it can always be easily restored.

I wanted to ask if it's a good thing to, in any way, optimize a small business site for cell phone or pda viewing as well as for standard browsers or perhaps that's not practical/ possible and a parallel site could be dedicated for cell browsers. Any thoughts?

I just want to think ahead to the possibilities of how the site may be accessed for contact information.

Thanks,

Dave

Cascade Advanced Design

Drafting - Design - Consulting

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I see no reason not to make a site display well in as many ways as possible. If a site uses standard compliant code you've already covered a lot. A few tweaks for Internet Explorer and you're mostly covered for viewing on a computer.

As far as cell phones and PDAs a site coded to the standards will usually display fine, but there are going to be other considerations. For example through a browser you probably want navigation toward the top of the page, but on a cell phone you'd probably want the content to appear first.

One thing to ask yourself about a cell phone or PDA is do you think it's realistic that someone is going to be looking for your services over their phone? If they are how important is it for them to see everything on your site?

People use the web differently on a computer and a phone.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

If you're looking to display on many different devices, this is one area where Dreamweaver CS3 might be woth looking into. It's a bit pricey for the average user, but does include the ability to check your pages on several kinds of devices, even specific to brand and model number if you want to.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt