Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going down a little

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    we come up #3 on google if you put in indiana antiques....so thats not too bad......#1 under rochester is not important since we arre the only one in town......
    its the other stuff i need some new key words on...and the things i sell now just dont have obvious key words...
    a lot of my traffic a year ago wasnt very productive, it was thru the blogs and i dont have time to be out there so much now...im not very active in the blog world now....it ended up being mostly friendly but way far away women who wouldnt have turned into buyers.....facebook is way more productive than my blog....
    i do hate to go down tho!!!!
    There is always going to be one source that is better than the others..and no source lasts forever. That's why you need to keep current with all of your online endeavors. Facebook is a great tool, but it is owned by Facebook. Your website is yours and you should take your success with Facebook and use it to evolve your website. At worst, you won't loose anything and will build your website traffic up. At best you will gain more ground on your website and as/if Facebook gets saturated or looses fascination with users the way My Space did, you won't be left with out any avenues to communicate with potential customers.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 09-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Array

i hear you on the facebook website thing..... a lot of it might be the customers choice tho...and probably quite new people for us that never saw our website... ........
    what im trying to find out is ways to find the better keywords that i think i need.......like looking at what words other sites use...
    i am going to try the toolbar idea...but i guess you are saying you dont know a place to see what a sites most successful keywords are... right?
    im not sure its bad that the views are going down...IF its becausue im neglecting the blog world...
    i definitely want to keep up my website...the blog not so much...altho i like it the most.... im totally benefitting from facebook but i dont quite get it or enjoy it...the blog seems so much more interesting....and the website so much more serious and important.....
    Last edited by greenoak; 09-13-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    i wonder if it was something like alex or alexis? i used...it was a few years ago...and it told what the most popular words were on a site...i never used a toolbar....
    I think you are probably talking about Alexa, and I don't find it to be very useful or accurate at all. I don't believe installing the toolbar with do anything to help you.
    You are better off using Google's keyword tools.
    If you really want to get serious you could use other tools like Twitter, and Google Trends to find out what people are currently talking and searching about in your niche.

Don't forget that there are 2 other search engines as well.
    Yahoo has webmaster tools:
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sea...master-01.html

and Bing seems to have a lot more information now to help webmasters than Microsoft has ever offered:
    http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmasters/
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 09-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.

The Alexa toolbar is mostly installed by webmasters. The results will be what webmasters search for. It's of about zero value unless your market is webmasters only.