Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: uses for websites...

Array

sounds good....one blog in my field has found a great hook...i actually make a point to go there...she picks a house or store every month and has a picture tour of it and an interview....the houses are georgous....in just the style i work in... its made her blog huge...
    im not sure how she has cashed in on it.... she has a store but the blog has a national following...
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Is the national following helping her business? Do you know her well enough to ask? You could likely easily do something similar but different and test whether it works with your store and target market. But for now I bet you'd just like to kick back with a nice cup of tea and put your legs up after a long day of hard work and rewards...

Array

no i dont know her well enough to ask... ive sure enjoyed her site a ot of times tho...and one of the sponsers bought from me once...and now has a real online busines going.... and another one is who i bought my selling site from...avalon rose... then i chickened out...
    heres her site..... www.theoldpaintedcottage.com.... shes national tho...and im more about come here with a truck...
    ..i think i will try and look at some other sites in my field and see whats new out there..i was hoping the ski shop example would bring to someones mind mind something i hadnt thought of......i need that hook!!! if there is one out there for us...
    Last edited by greenoak; 09-06-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by greenoak View Post
    i need that hook!!! if there is one out there for us...
    That is what I am trying to express. You have a hook. Your store. Your pictures. Content based on what your target market is looking for.

The site you linked to is different from yours - they sell online, they are actively seeking coverage in niche and national magazines. She's got a smaller base of operation and isn't (as far as I can tell) a destination store. She didn't invent cottage of the month as a marketing gimmick...it appears to be born out of passion and that is where the best "hooks" really are. She is doing many of the things on her blog (shopping trips etc) that were mentioned earlier and though she does apologize for the poor pictures she's benefitting from the imperfect ones she is posting. She's active in the blogosphere with interviews and guest posts...

There's nothing hard about what she is doing, but it is work to pull it all off successfully.

Array

in other words they just use the site for directions to the store!!! i have had lots say they love roaming thru the site just for fun....
    you are right she is not a store...and as a blog she has risen up over probably thousands of blogs because she offered something we just LOVE..she had to work it....but she had a great idea to start with.....[me being one who has had a few crummy ideas and put tons of work into them...and walla...nothing happened]........i guess she is a destination blog.... avalon rose is huge too...she hits the style just right and her marketing is really working....
    i just want to get to be a better and better destination store and not throw the baby out with the bath water....
    Last edited by greenoak; 09-07-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Array

in other words they just use the site for directions to the store!!! i have had lots say they love roaming thru the site just for fun....
    With work you can use it to give them directions and connection to the store...

you are right she is not a store...and as a blog she has risen up over probably thousands of blogs because she offered something we just LOVE..she had to work it....but she had a great idea to start with.....
    Right, but part of that process was getting and staying connected with people within the community of bloggers within the market and chased/attracted magazine and other publicity coverage, because she's consistent in what she has delivered...love, passion and hard work surely went into it, but it's those connections that have made a difference over time.

i just want to get to be a better and better destination store and not throw the baby out with the bath water....
    Then you and your web people have to work on the little things...get something going with consistency and seek out the connections within the blogosphere/internet realm that your target market is already engaged in.

Array

good ideas patrysha...
    .our retail is up 14 percent this year...thats what i want to keep on doing... thats better and better to me....
    i am always working on my web..last january i had no facebook...,our website healthy and still is spreading and spreading........thats why im out here mining for more good things...
    mainly on this thread for a hook that sounds just right....kind of like the rechargeable collar in steves business.... or the great idea of cottage of the month in painted cottages business....if i fnd something new im sure not against doing the work to develope it...

off to work..
    Last edited by greenoak; 09-07-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Array

Ann, you have already started a form of alternative marketing with you site. How's your FACEBOOK FREEBIE battery working?

Consider this:

Make a 1-day or 10-only offer to anyone who calls in and orders the item shipped. You already have over 800 FB fans, so you have a decent audience for that sort of offer. Send a notice to all your FB fans. Then, try the same thing to your email list to see which are the most responsive.

Remember how important the headline or subject is!

Also, make in-store offers. Do some sort of really special offer for the first 10 people who come to the store. I'd imagine you can assure me that it is the rare person who will come into your store to buy one thing, buy it, and leave.

About your website ...

1. 2-5% of males have a partial red-green color blindness, though it is rare for a man to have no red-green perception. How does this matter?

Bright, saturated reds and greens are distinguishable. Muted shades are perceived in varying shades of gray. Your left-sided menu is an example.

If something is difficult to read it will not be read!

I would also suggest you make the print on your page, e.g., the red and black type in the middle column larger and bold for everyone to read more easily.

2. I would also suggest you make your background pattern more muted and lighter so there is more contrast between it and your print. Visual perception will be substantially better and you will not lose as many readers as you are now losing.

3. One of my "88" (below) is, "Never assume your customer knows anything about your business." Tell us, for example, what "shabby chic" is in one or more articles and why we should be interested in it and the offerings you have in your store.

Once you get us into your website, encourage us to sign-up to get more information, and, then, give it to us ... and regularly. Use your email list more often and more creatively.

4. By very vigorous cross promotion you can have your store promoting your website and your website promoting your store.

5. Very actively acquire the contact information including email addresses of everyone who darkens your door. Offer something of value in return and reassure them you will not spam them.

Keep up your excellent work!

Paul

Array

if we are seen as expert in anything its probably rehabbing furniture and all that ...so i could work on that more...thats where the ebook idea is fitting in...also we are seen as having a huge pile of interesting stuff....and that is like drawing bees to the honey....i have a camera but not on my phone...i m thinking about getting an ipod ..with the front facing camera...but might wait till they get their little problem fixed...but i might get a better camera too...the pictures are really important tous...
    Ann, tell us all about rehabbing and how you do it. Use articles, pictures, and short videos. It'll work, believe me!

its odd but my blog is a lot of far away people and the facebook is way more local....
    your nice fat post is very thought provoking!!! making me think about different structure for the website.... maybe a nice january project with my webmistress...
    Remember, by offering call-in-to-be-shipped offers you can sell to people near and far--blog, FB, website!

im not sure my customers would bother with articles.... .they are more about the pictures...
    and whats in now....i dont see what the framework would be that would present the articles...
    How about doing it all together? Write the article first, then lace it with pictures and short videos. Be sure the article will stand alone so the search engines can index it well.

I think things are about ready to fall into place for you! Keep it up!

BTW, 14% increase in the past year with this economy is great!

Paul

Array

good to see you on here paul!!! im printing everything off for my webmistress...
    . really now...things have fallen in place for us pretty well....our store is in year 32 and have a a good living going...knock on wood...... we are one of the biggest antique /lifestyle shops in the state...and we have survived where so many have quit......im just trying for better and better....
    maybe my hook would be rehabbing with greenoak...

where would i put the articles on rehabbingif i were to get them written? patrysha suggested that too....
    what does stand alone mean, in relation to indexing?
    ann