Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I set up a local server to work on

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You should be able to build the whole site in a subdirectory or on a different domain so the client can see. When it's time to take the new site live, move everything currently in the root to a new subdirectory. I use old-site all the time. Then move everything new in.

If the current site is on WordPress you can move the whole site (except for index.php) to a sub directory now and make a few tweaks so it displays as usual. You'll need to do the same things you do to set that up in the first place. Change index.php so it points to the new folder and change the settings on the admin side (Think it's just the one in the general settings tab). Instead of moving things to the new folder you can copy them until you know everything is working from the new folder.

Then build the new site under its own folder. When it's time to switch you just need to set the new site to be located in the folder while the home page shows at the root. You'll just have to change the same index.php file that's in the root to point to the new site instead of the old one.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

That'll work fine for setting up single user WP and one website,but I don't think it will work for an MU set up. I don't think you can move an MU set up to a new domain, especially after you have already created sites within the network.

You really should try working locally. Having said that, I have never tried subdomains locally. Should be able to do it though, as you have apache on your pc.

Other alternative is put the thing in a subfolder on domain you have and develop it their. Might want to register a domain just for this. Use <html></html> on the index page. Its unlikely that any bots will find the subfolder where the site under development is.

If paths are an issue, developing locally is the only way I can think of.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I thought of developing on another domain, because the client undoubtedly always wants to follow along and many times I need their input anyway. The only thing is, I have never transferred an MU installation with multiple sites already built, to a new domain...and the only way that it can be done (if it can be done) is to totally erase everything from the destination domain before you do your MU installation...it has to be a clean installation.
    Assuming that is the way to, it would mean either transferring the database or repopulating a new database with the information. Tricky, but I think it may work that way.

One thing that may catch you is some hosts append a prefix or something to database names, user names etc so moving from one domain or a local install may not work. I don't know if you have dreamweaver, but if you can get a hold of a copy, it has a nice sitewide search and replace function. There may be some text editors that do that as well for a lot less money.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Why wouldn't it work? Is it the main site or the sites under the main one?

If you can't move the site to a new domain then setting it up on your own server isn't going to help. And again you can build this site on the client's domain in a subfolder. You can definitely move the site to a new domain. WordPress is going to be relying on a few settings to tell it what the domain is. All you have to do is change those settings and it should work fine on any domain.

Assuming it can't be moved, build the main site and then set it up on the client's domain. At that point they'd have to accept that it's the only way to get the new site live on their domain. However, I really don't think there's any reason you can't move a multi-site WordPress setup.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

You know...I guess it would work, it will just be a pain

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yeah I can understand that. I don't think it will be that bad if you build everything on the client's site in a directory off the root. In the end you'll simply need to move the index.php file out into the root, change the path in the file and update the settings on the backend, and move the live site to a new directory. In fact you probably only need to move the live site's index files out of the root.