Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help - quick.

Array

Default Need some help - quick.

As many of you know, we have banner advertising on our site. The advertising is up for sale on a first come/first serve basis. The HouseViewOnline site is very predominate in the local real estate market and I work with all the local agencies. We have a center ad on the main page. An agency approached us about buy all the slots on that ad. After some talk we agreed. Now that the ads have started running, the largest agency in the area (Market share>30%) is screaming "No Fair". We should be able to run ads also at that spot.

Is there a fair compromise on this? Should I just tell the larger company "Sorry you had your chance"?
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I guess if it's first come first served, then they did miss their chance. Otherwise, it seems to me you would have to change the deal with the current advertiser. That can't be a good option.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I can see that it is a touchy situation but I agree with Steve. The slots were for sale and you sold them. Once the available slots are sold out, why should it matter whether the slots went to one agency or three. Either way, the predominant agency would have been cut out. Besides, a deal is a deal.

On the other hand, when it comes time to renew the arrangement you have, I would think long and hard about the long term effect of tying your site closely with one agency and possibly alienating others.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I agree as well. There's nothing wrong with the one company buying up all the ads or you selling them. Where was the complaining company when the ads were for sale? Presumably your current deal expires at some point. You can let the complaining company know when it does and ask if they would like to buy ads at that time.

I do also agree with David when it comes to thinking about the long term effect of being tied so closely with one agency. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you should consider whether or not that company's brand aligns with yours.

One positive in all this is you likely have 2 companies who both want to buy the same ads on your site, which should allow you to charge more for the space.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Or have them bid for the space.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Bidding seems to work well for Google.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

the bidding idea might be a big turn off......
    .i would try to keep the complainer happy but a deal is a deal...maybe let him pick his spot for the next time.... having just one customer wouldnt be good...imho...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Yea I agree with everyone else. Maybe next time you have advertising for sale, make sure that you emphasize the first come, first serve policy. Also you could think about having the sale during a certain time period, and market it out to the agencies. You can't please everyone, but I would try to mend the relationship for future business.
    Rachel Jackson
    Payment Processing Agent
    North American Bancard

Array

Create another website, similar in layout, with a not too different url, linked to the main site - sell the ad space to the complaining firm for a low rate "as a holding ad until the main space is free," then SEO the heck out of it to get it in the SERPS fast.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

There is no fairness in advertising. Either you buy the spots or a competitor does.