Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speed or quality...which employee is better

Array

i thought id be slow next week, but i signed 5 jobs on Friday and now am booked up again....im working 10-12 hours in the field a day and 2-3 hours bidding at night....i worked a 1/2 day today (sat)...

Frederick- im assuming its a blip....but its the largest blip ive had...2 months straight....in the past its only been 3-4 weeks....

i can see by the amount of bids im doing that it will slow down soon and get back to normal.....by hiring a part time guy i can handle the work load and let the demand grow more before i hire my 1st full time employee...

union rate package is $56 per hour- worker makes $35....i charge $88 for new homes and $104 for remodels/service...i typically make $15-30 per hour if the hours are exact...

a good question to keep this conversation going is:

IF I HIRE A QUALITY GUY Can I teach him speed? ...I want both of course.

I got a list from the union of 8 guys willing to work part time...most are not retired....some have been laid off for more than 2 years (wow they must be good)

i talked to one on the phone...his speaking speed was 1/3rd of mine. It was noticeably slower than an average person

i can give all 8 a phone interview....what should i ask them to gauge speed and quality?

1. rate your speed 1-10
    2. rate your quality 1-10
    3?
    4?

if i hire a part time employee he will be next to me all day...if something is poor quality i can point it out and fix it while im there...i look over the whole job when i complete it....i typically spend 15 min examining everything.....so reputation wont be effected right now.....reputation is everything to me!

Array

i have both....and it would drive me crazy if the slow person had to do the easy jobs, like the first coat of paint or the dusting.... and it would be a disaster if the sloppy person handles the books or the packing.....both have their good points....
    we were so glad to get rid of a quality person who was painfully slow......we get interupted all the time and he couldnt take that at all ...and he had no judgement on what i wanted fast and what i wanted perfect....
    its probably not always either/ or.....i like fast and almost prefect..some are sloppy and slow...and some are fast and accurate......hiring is totally scary and a roll of the dice...imho..
    ann.
    Last edited by greenoak; 08-14-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

you can teach speed. Pitchers in baseball work on accuracy first, then the speed comes later. It's the same with almost anything. Once a guy knows what he is doing well, he will get faster. Some might need a fire lit under them...

You never mentioned this, but if you hired a smart, physical guy with a LITTLE experience, you could train him to do the job exactly how you wanted it done. Sometimes experience can work against your goal...
    tulsa accounting agency providing nationwide payroll services and do-it-yourself online payroll

Array

i cant get this question out of my head...i would pick the fast person...and make really rigid quality goals...to get him in good habits..
    ..im pretty sure a super slow person would be super hard to change..and drive me nuts to be around..... and i do know some good fast people...who can do a great job but be careful and efficient too... ...
    you are lucky if you can try someone out part time or for a short project......and really see how it works out......before comitting to him....
    . i hope you find someone good....it is a wonderful thng when it happens...
    i dont think any job seeker would rate their quality low on your questionaire.......also how would you feel if it took someone twice as long to do an easy task as it takes you to do it?
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com